1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wanna hear the Hardwire Tube Overdrive in a band setting?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hobobob, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

These were recorded at a recent gig. Ibanez SR 706 -> Hardwire -> Markbass Distorsore (blended completely clean, used for compression) -> Markbass SA 450 -> Mesa Powerhouse 212.
    (I'm singing too, in case you were wondering)
    http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_14930085
    I kick on the OD during the lead break to fill more space. Level set as close to unity w/ clean as I could get it, Bass at 1:00, Treble at 12:00, gain at 12:00.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_14930103
    I forgot to engage it at the beginning, so I stomp it on at the first pre-chorus. For this one, the level and bass stayed the same, but I bumped up the treble and gain to around 1:00.
    (EDIT: Forgot to mention that I kept the toggle switch in Classic mode for both tunes)
    Hope this is useful to anyone considering the Hardwire!
    (and yes, both my guitarist and I act like idiots before we play. I'm not as ashamed as I should be)
  2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn! Supporting Member

Cool! Love my hardwire CM-2. I run mine first then thru an envelope pedal then to my Sans- amp. The Hardwire and Sans- amp together are wicked but feedback is something I need to watch.
  3. basslyon

basslyon

Disclosures:
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    always wondered how that would go. love those distorsores - some great sounds in that pedal.

also your voice has some large balls.... and i like that
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

I'll have some recordings of mine soon as well. Love my Hardwire CM-2. I honestly don't think you can find a better overdrive pedal without getting into the $250+ category.
  5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn! Supporting Member

+1 I looked and unless I went with the foo-foo big buck pedals this was the best I found.
  6. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    If you don't mind paying a few bucks more, the orange guitar version of the Xotic BB preamp is really good on bass and in a similar tone category as the CM-2. I think the BB goes for $168 at Guitar Center.
  7. Hobobob

Thanks!

I really enjoyed this pedal the moment I first plugged it in, but hearing it in playback made me fall in love with it all over again. The tone is so smooth, but it still grinds the way I like. The perfect OD tone for a band mix.
  8. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing, you guys sound great!
  9. Hobobob

Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoy it!
  10. Hobobob

I can't wait to hear your recordings. To be honest, it was your endorsement in a number of threads that finally sold me on the Hardwire. For that, I owe you a major thanks and possibly a beer or two if either of us end up in each other's neck of the woods.
  11. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Hardwire pedals are built to last and they sound great. It's a great time for a pedal person to be alive. Not only are there incredible boutique pedals but great bargins like this.
  12. Fiset

Fiset Previously A Strohman Supporting Member

Just ordered one. This thing gets too much love for me not to try it and the price makes it a no-brainer. So far nothing has been able to unseat my Pork Loin and I doubt the CM-2 will either...but based on the clips in this thread, I'm thinking I may be able to use it in tandem with the Pork Loin. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.
  13. Hobobob

The hardwire blends really well with other ODs. On it's own it's super warm, but it melds really well with the tones from my Distorsore and DHA VT-1 EQ when I run them together. I could swear that it blends just a touch of the clean tone in underneath the OD.
  14. Jordan S.

Jordan S. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    I find with my CM-2 that the bass knob is at a weird frequency... it sounds boomy and muffled. It works perfectly an sounds great with my guitarist's guitar, so I'm assuming that they set the bass knob at a frequency that works best for guitar, not bass. Luckily I clean blend all my distortions and overdrives, so it's not really a problem.
  15. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

I hear this too. There is definitely some uneffected lows coming through.
  16. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Really nice for P-bass and a pick, IMHO.
  17. ozzyismetal

ozzyismetal

Killer tone man! Just when I thought I was GAS-free :p
  18. Hobobob

Thanks man! If you wanna be GAS free, stay the heck outta the effects forum! There's always some alluring new gadget on these pages!
  19. Fiset

Received my CM-2 today....put it on the board and went straight to the studio for rehearsal. Preliminary verdict - its a keeper! Very full tone, no loss of low end that I can hear and it can get very hairy....great pedal for the price.
  20. Fiset

So because I was in a hurry to get to rehearsal, I just opened the box, took the pedal and bailed to rehearsal. Once I got home and went back to the box I discovered the neat "box candy" that was included with the pedal. A strip of hook-side velcro cut in the shape of the bottom pad, a glow-in-the-dark sticker to put on the foot switch and a rubber mold cut in the shape of the knobs so that you can lock in the settings. All of this and the pedal too for less than $90....Digitech is doing something right!