Want 18v, can only fit 9v

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheAngryPocket, Jan 22, 2013.

1. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Putting EMG P/J actives, and a BTC system in my B.C.Rich Warlock NJ 4string. Looking in the control cavity, it looks like I only have room/space for one 9v to operate it. My previous EMG instructions say its recommended if running all this. Is it necessary for an active pre and pups? Thanks.

2. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

You'll have less headroom, but it should work.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I've used two EMG pickups and a BTC on 9 volts. It works fine.

4. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

18v is cool but 9v is just fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Well, as long as it doesn't sound as anemic as the stock EMG Selects in it.

7. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I think the BTC will wake up your sound more than the pups will.

8. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Agreed. I am already familiar with EMG in my Gecko with DC40's and BQC system in an 18v wiring. Just looking for that similar massiveness it produces. ;)

9. line6man

line6man

If you really want 18V, you can do an external battery pack.

10. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

I could, but was trying to avoid that. So it looks like 9v it is.

11. grendle

grendle

cut a piece of foam the size of the cavity and put it over the pots. Sandwich the batteries in between the foam and the control cover. The foam is just so the battery casings dont touch anything. you can get 2 9v in there.

12. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

13. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I'm curious: Does the Gecko lose massiveness on only 9v? I've never run an 18v system, and I'm building an active bass at the moment so I'd like to know.

14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Do a temporary external connection of 18v and take it for a test drive. Then try 9v.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Then do what the title says.

15. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I don't have a Gecko, but I used EMG 40P5s and 40Js with a BTC in this bass:

[​IMG]

The difference between 9v and 18v is that on 9 volts the signal is very slightly compressed. One is not any more "massive" than the other, and in most cases you won't even hear the difference.

In some instances and in certain basses I preferred the tone running on 9 volts. But it is not a huge difference. Since I often use a limiter you couldn't even hear it.

16. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

I was just somewhat referring to the difference between my two basses as of now. One with EMG DC40's and BQC pre in 18v operation that sounds like it WANTS to play through a massive rig. And the other that's all passive with EMG Select P/J and no pre(just V/B/T), and sounds like it would just be happy through a beginner's 10-30watt 8" combo. If that says anything. My curiousity was if I "had to" run it that way with both active pups, and active preamp, and its downfall at only 9v, or if there's even a difference. And it seems that there is not enough to really discern, seemingly. All positive info!:bassist:

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Just route for a battery box or route extra space under the pickguard. Honestly, I don't hear a difference. I have my jazz with full Bartolini electronics wired 18v. Had to route under the pg to fit everything in. I have a P/J with EMG's and a BTC and it's wired 9v and it's actually pretty hot. You would think it's 18v.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I couldn't fit a second battery in the compartment of my P Lyte when I installed EMG PJ's and a BQC. Bummed out about it for a day or two, then did a gig with it, and bummed out no more. Sounds great with 9v to me.

19. mrbell321

mrbell321

If you're into building your own circuits, there are "charge-pump" IC's. They can convert 9v to 18v and in about 1/8 the size of a 9v battery with a really simple circuit. Battery life will suffer some and I don't know how well they work in this case....

20. grendle

grendle

imo. the 18v isnt any hotter, just more headroom. best way to hear it is when playing a run on the lower strings or when playing faster. at 9v the attack can get a little mushed, like with a passive vintage style pup.At 18v that doesn't happen and you get all of the attack clearly, along with some brilliant highs. its a small but noticeable difference, for me though i'll stay at 18v. I like it.

21. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    You convinced me. I'll route for a big battery box and wire it to run either one or two batteries.