1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Want to experiment with recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by maxrathburn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. maxrathburn

maxrathburn

Hey guys, so recently i talked to a few friends about jamming together, although we are very far from being a band. I have been interested in recording some stuff, sort of for fun. I have right next to 0 knowlege about it. It wouldnt have to be anything fancy, just something i could have 3 instruments played into and have recorded. As far as gear concerned, ive got my computer (PC) and my amps...Anything simple that i could just mess around with? Thanks.

2. Dilbert

Dilbert

3. nick98338

nick98338

The real problem, in PC recording, is the ins and out. The more ins and outs, the better. Trying to plug directly into the computer's factory sound card is an iffy proposition.The easiest solution is usually some sort of USB audio interface, or a small mixer that, in effect, works like an audio interface. Either of these will take care of the ins and outs. Microphones plug in. Instruments plug in. Line level devices plug in. Headphone out, speaker out, line out. Lots of outs is a good thing. The interface, or mixer, plugs into the PC by USB. Simple. No, or very few, adapters needed. Many interfaces, or mixers, have phantom power for microphones that need it. Most of these devices come with recording software that makes setup very easy. If they don't come with software, that Reaper program does work well.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

That's what our engineer uses.

But I think others are right: the big issue is the I/O. A person can use Garageband, but the trick is getting all the sounds in and out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

I am currently using Reaper with EZDrummer and a simple and outdated guitarport from Line 6. I also utilize the Presonus Studio One 2 Free version (kicking the tires now).

Currently looking at the Presonus AudioBox 22VSL which comes with the Studio One Artist recording software.

So are you recording drums (trap set) or using midi drums? Did you need all three inputs at once?