Want to move but have a dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Steve S

Steve S

My wife and I are contemplating retirement this year after working for 46 years. We have a large, beautiful home where we raised two kids.

Our daughter bought a pit bull puppy years ago while living with friends. Then she had a kid and the dog eventually moved in with my wife and I. She stayed with her friends and married the father of her child. They stay in an apartment.

We've had Cassius for 4 years and he now weights 100 pounds. I've fallen several times at our house on the stairs so we're looking for a smaller, one story place or apartment. Apartments are difficult to find with big dogs. As time went on, Cassius gradually got closer to my wife and I. He doesn't seem connected to my daugher. He's a wonderful dog, friendly to people and loves to go for walks. However, he's a tough looking pit bull. Everybody who sees him comments on his large, muscular build.

I'm really torn about what to do at this point. How difficult would it be to find another owner for a big dog who is 5 years old?
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I personally cannot ever see myself abandoning a pet I have. If renting, I'd make that part of my criteria on a place to rent. If buying a new home, I'd make it a point to have a yard and such for room to play outside.
  3. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

In Ontario, a landlord can't legally say that you can't have pets in an apartment. Check the laws local to yourself.

lowsound
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, that thought would never fly with my wife who is an animal lover and protector. Perhaps you can find a new one story dwelling that can accommodate you pet.
  5. mellowinman

mellowinman Badd As Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You're committed, man.

Buy a smaller house.
  6. rtslinger

rtslinger

Keep the dog get yourself a nice ranch style home everything thing on the same floor
  7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

If he's in NJ get a Cape and live on the bottom floor. There are more of them and you can store basses guests etc up top where you don't have to trip over them.

I think it was Gandhi that said you can judge a society by how it treats it's animals.
  8. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Keep him and just make having a pet-friendly abode one of your requirements. DO ask lots of questions though. There are a lot of complexes, municipalities, and insurance companies that now have breed restrictions making it far more difficult when your beloved baby is a Pittie. Unfair, in my opinion, since I've been around a lot of them that were spoiled rotten lap babies, but do your homework.

If things pan out that you absolutely cannot keep him no matter what you do, try to get with a breed specific rescue organization when re-homing him. As unfair as it is, a lot of shelters have some breed-biases that give some breeds a shorter adoption period than the little fluffy dust-mop ankle biter dogs.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Don't bail on Cassius. He loves and trusts you.

Check around for any type of clubs/groups/etc for pitbull owners in the area you want to move. Quite often they are in tune with rentals that will allow dogs. They can probably help you find an apartment that all three of you can live in.

-Mike
  10. bassinplace

bassinplace

There are rescue agencies but the problem is once you hand the dog over, you will never know what it's fate will become. I agree with mellowinman 100%. Once you take the dog, you're committed. Places can be found to live that will accommodate the dog. It'll just take a little extra effort, but it's totally doable.
  11. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

+1
  12. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I'm definitely in the "keep the dog" camp. You'd be filled with regret forever if you rehomed him.

What about converting your current house - bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and lounge on the ground floor, and use the upstairs either for storage or give the wife some space for whatever her hobbies are.

Or, have you thought of a stair lift?
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Note: My family and I had two small dogs (R.I.P.) for near about 15 years. I also managed apartment building for many years. In my area, pets are at the discretion of management unless it's a service pet.

+1 to finding a one story house that has a big yard. To me, that's the best way to insure you'll be able to keep your pet and where he'll feel comfortable.

Living in an apartment with a big dog that has no where to hang out during the day seems cruel to me. Also, I don't think your apartment neighbors would appreciate hearing a giant dog bark, no matter how little it happens. If the dog disturbs the neighbors regularly, you won't be able to live their long.

I live in a two story home and if we don't move, plan to make our downstairs small den into a our room. We can also make a small office area in another room if we still need too. There will then be lots more room upstairs for the grandkids and their friends who like to have sleep overs! I was also thinking of eventually renting out a couple of rooms to local college kids. Maybe not. :eek:

Good luck.
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

We once had a Basset hound who was nice but we could not train her to stay around - 10 seconds off a leash and she was 50 yards away and going. Then she snapped at one of our kids. Time for a change.

We advertised locally (Craigslist would work today) and found her a good home with a 60+ gent on a ranch where she had room to roam and no traffic or neighbors to attract her. I think that we and she both did well with that outcome.
  15. Steve S

Steve S

All of the comments that I've read tells me why it's been so difficult to give Cassius up. He's grown on us and has become a part of the family. I used to be wary of pit bulls until he came along and he's the nicest dog that I've ever owned. The meanest dog that I've ever had was a little Chihuahua...

I guess I'm going to have to really work to find a smaller place because my wife says that I'd really miss him if he were gone.

Thanks folks!
  16. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah!!!!
  17. MJ5150

Yay for Steve S, his wife, and Cassius. TBOT has done another good deed for the day.

-Mike
  18. bassinplace

bassinplace

If you don't really care about the dog, which can sometimes be the case if he or she's a PITA, then it's easy to give up. If you care about the animal though, it becomes like family. You can't just give away someone you care about.
  19. MJ5150

Exactly.

When the wife and I were contemplating a move to Denmark, we agonized over the idea of getting our dog there. We have been considering a move to Costa Rica recently, and again we have to think about the dog and getting her there.

-Mike
  20. Steve S

Steve S

Yup, very true.

I appreciate all of your comments. Thank you.