1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Want to stain my neck. Don't want to mess it up.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 22, 2014.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I have a $2000 Stambaugh which I absolutely love. This bass will likely be my main bass for years and years. However, the one thing I would change is to have an ebony fingerboard instead of rosewood... because I am vain and would like the colour contrast of black with the rosewood lam top.:smug::rolleyes::smug:

[​IMG]

I was thinking of using this from Stew Mac: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishi...ains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html?tab=Details

I am quite concerned that I might screw it up and get the stain somewhere it doesn't belong since I believe this would be a permanent stain.

Any tips?

2. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I was looking into this as well, and read of a couple of people that complained that the dye would come off on their fingers. It was recommend to apply a finish over it. That made me decide against it.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

That monotone rosewood look is absolutely beautiful in my opinion. I would personally not change a thing.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 That is gorgeous and if you decide to get it done have it done by a professional I would rather experiment on a $100.00 parts bass than that beauty.

5. Register to disable this ad