1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Want to stain my neck. Don't want to mess it up.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 22, 2014.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a $2000 Stambaugh which I absolutely love. This bass will likely be my main bass for years and years. However, the one thing I would change is to have an ebony fingerboard instead of rosewood... because I am vain and would like the colour contrast of black with the rosewood lam top.:smug::rolleyes::smug:

[​IMG]

I was thinking of using this from Stew Mac: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishi...ains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html?tab=Details

I am quite concerned that I might screw it up and get the stain somewhere it doesn't belong since I believe this would be a permanent stain.

Any tips?

2. I was looking into this as well, and read of a couple of people that complained that the dye would come off on their fingers. It was recommend to apply a finish over it. That made me decide against it.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    That monotone rosewood look is absolutely beautiful in my opinion. I would personally not change a thing.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 That is gorgeous and if you decide to get it done have it done by a professional I would rather experiment on a $100.00 parts bass than that beauty.