Wanted: more natural bass response

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Feb 9, 2013.

1. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

Got a bass I love. Bolt on ATK 305, maple neck, not sure of the body (ash or alder?).

Not as warm as I'd like it to be but I love everything else about it.

Is there anything STRUCTURALLY that can be done to increase the bass response? Maybe something to do with the neck joint? (Yes, I can always add it in with EQ, but it's not the same...)

2. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

Is it string thru body? That is supposed to add sustain but I'm not sure about the warmth you are looking for.

3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I would try a heavier or different string. Maybe even a flatwound or nylon tape. You could also try playing with your pickup height.

4. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Convert it to threaded inserts & machine screws. I use 1/4-20, and get consistently great results.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

Replace the bridge with a new one.

7. stanknuckle

stanknuckle

Try either flats or half wound strings! Less treble in your signal will make for a warmer tone. Playing with the strings in mentioned solo will possibly seem yuck BUT I found in a band, they sound thick and warm.

8. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

Tighten the neck joint and hardware. Tighten (carefully) the neck bolts and the screws that bolt the bridge to the body. It can usually make some difference in tone.

9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Turn the preamp off!

10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

There is something to be said for this. I've been toying with SS Squier Jag. As part of my adventures, I unstrung it. The bridge could wiggle like crazy! No, not the saddles, the entire plate. As a fan of free fixes, tighten all screws and play with your pickup height. From there, reconsider your strings of choice. Exhaust the free stuff, then the cheap stuff, then the modestly pricey stuff, etc.

11. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

You'd be amazed at how thrown together some basses are, even booteek ones.

12. Duckwater

Duckwater

Different strings. If you want more fundamental than get some strings with lighter tension, the increased vibration will result in more low frequencies.

13. David Jayne

David Jayne

For the love of God, please ignore all previous responses. They will lead you down an expensive, time-consuming rabbit hole of mods which will do nothing but make you crazy until you eventually give up and try to sell the bass.

Your bass isn't MEANT to have a really fat bass tone. The pickup location makes it that way. It's meant to have a very forward, middy/bright tone.

If that's not your thing, move on.

14. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Please dear god ignore this post! lol

Just because the pickup is more towards the bridge doesnt mean the bass is all sizzle and no booty. I get plenty thick tones with a warwick thumb

Theres nothing wrong with making sure all hardware is tight and whatnot. Try different strings.

What amp are you playing through btw? Nothing is going to sound big through a 25 watt crate

15. David Jayne

David Jayne

I'll grant you that. The rest is a waste of time.

16. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

I'm playing direct into a pa. No choice in the matter. It's not that; other basses have a warmer sound through the same system. I'm already considering adding a 2nd pickup (think MM Sabre). Found a used pickup of the exact same model that's in there already.

I'm also thinking of filing the frets to a sharp point, replacing the bridge with a mound of silly putty, and installing a series of preamps for each string (which will require extensive routing out of the back). If that doesn't do the trick, I'll just sell it and buy an Affinity P bass. ;)

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can always try flatwounds or tapewound strings. I'd suggest flats.

18. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

Get a Sansamp DI works for me for that big fat warm tone.
    [​IMG]

19. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

Holy crap. After reading this I grabbed a screw driver and tightened my bridge screws. Flipped it around and TWO of my neck screws were loose!!