Wanting a cheap ABG...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christw, Dec 28, 2012.

1. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I'm thinking about buying an acoustic/electric bass for a couple of projects I'm doing and was thinking of trying a GFS XV400. SX has a bass at around $270 but that's stretching the budget. I don't know much of cheap acoustic/electrics but these seemed to be options. Is there anything I should be looking at? I'm shooting for a sunburst and tort kind of look.

For what it's worth, regardless of what I get I plan to make a mount and put an electric pickup on the neck side of the sound hole. Most likely it will be a J or lipstick pickup. I'll stick a volume/tone on the edge of the pickguard and a second output. I'll run the cable I use for the Rics and blend them with my EDB-1. It's just my style. ;)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At some point there's a trade-off between acceptable quality and price. From what I read around these parts, SX is about as good a balance between the two as it gets. I really don't think you're going to want something that costs less than $270 in an ABG, but I may be wrong.

3. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    I think you're probably right. I'm looking for something decent that I won't feel bad putting two extra screw holes into. The Xaviere looks like I want and is a wee bit cheaper. That's what I'm hung up on... Then again, I could just save up and watch the TB classifieds. I probably won't find everything I want in any one cheapie.

4. MakoMan

MakoMan

I've toyed with the idea of getting one of the $69 Sky acoustic/electric basses off of Amazon or Ebay. Don't see how they could possibly be any crappier than some of the $150-300 ABGs I've owned/played.
    Never considered one before buy my local pawn shop got one in used last week and it actually played surprisingly well. Certainly as well or better than the Dean I had.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Dean Playmate... Acoustically loud and made pretty well.

7. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Hell, we're pretty much neighbors. If you end up in Cinci, you're more than welcome to try mine out.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

This, definitely - IMO, it's the best AEB under $500 - and can be had for $200 or less...

- georgestrings

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

That $69 sky acoustic is horrific. I doubt it could survive any mods. The dean is ok but it's humongous. I like my Ibanez aeb5e. ~$200 and sounds great with tapewounds.

10. tdub0199

tdub0199

+1 on the Dean Playmate.... mine is pretty decent

11. guroove

guroove

I got a Dean from Musician's friend a couple years ago for really cheap. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I wish I had spent more and gotten a better instrument. The intonation is bad all over the neck, it doesn't stay in tune, and two of the strings don't really get picked up by the pickup when you plug it in. It was so cheap though, that I kept it, and only really use it for acoustic practice / jam sessions.

12. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Variance... Mine intonates, stays in tune, and all the strings pick up fine.

13. guroove

guroove

This is the one I got:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-eab-acoustic-electric-bass

Again, I still felt it was worth what I paid for it, but it definitely is not a professional instrument.

My post was in no way a counter to yours. I am just giving my experience. If you go too cheap, you may end up disappointed.

14. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

I didn't take it that way, man. Just doing the same. :)

This is the one I got...

http://www.samash.com/p/Dean_Playmate Cutaway 5 String Acoustic Electric Bass Natural_-49987857

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

The Dean EAB is about as good as any of them, louder than most, and not very expensive.

16. MD

MD

This is kind of an interesting idea, if you haven't seen it. I imagine it would help with feed back as well. If acoustic volume isn't a priority, you may find a slightly smaller ABG to be more comfortable than the Dean, which is quite large.

Scroll to bottom of page.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/acoustic-bass-fetish-club-part-2-a-665642/index30.html

17. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

I picked up a Dean EAB recently and I was quite pleasantly surprised by how well it played and sounded. I didn't have very high expectations, because after all it's one of the cheapest ABGs out there, but it exceeded those expectations in all regards. It is, as several people have said, a big instrument. But that's one reason I was attracted to it---it's big enough to actually be of some use as an acoustic bass, not just as an electric bass that looks like an acoustic guitar.

18. swamp2

swamp2

I have a Dean as well, and I think it's decent enough to convince me that an ABG really isn't a particularly useful instrument. In my experience, it still needs amplification to be heard over much of anything, and once you do that - might as well use an instrument that doesn't force the ergonomic compromises that an EAB does.

Yeah it sounds somewhat different than a "normal" electric bass, but for the most part nobody who is listening cares about that...

19. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

I grabbed a used Fender Kingman a few months ago for a great price, and I love it. Decent volume & tone unplugged, and beautiful tone when amplified.

20. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    I'm not concerned with unplugged tone. I have a URB if I need that. I'm looking at an ABG to fit the plugged in acoustic vibe of the bands without being as big. I'd prefer a smaller body to the Dean or the SX. I also find natural finish with a light colored wood or black to be completely unappealing. Just sayin' they look cheap. :meh:

21. stepswork4me

stepswork4me