1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

War Pigs this Saturday?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bggeezer, Nov 4, 2012.

1. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

Hi, were a Sabbath Covers band in UK. We have a gig this Saturday Night, the night before Remembrance Sunday. Do we still do War Pigs (v popular obviously), or drop it and put something else in instead, which is what the singer want's to do.

Any advice gratefully received :D
  2. kcole4001

kcole4001

It's an anti war song, not pro war.
    Should be fine.
  3. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band Supporting Member

+1 Go for it!

Cheers,
    Jim
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman

You need to play it.

You NEED to play it.

You need to PLAY IT.

YOU need to play it.

I can't think of too many more ways to say it.

You need TO play it.
  5. bassgeezer56

bassgeezer56

Can't go wrong with War Pigs, our audience demands it!!!
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Absolutely NOT. Military veterans will DEFINITELY resent the implication that their fallen comrades died for a senseless political struggle. Whatever your personal politics are, these fallen soldiers, veterans and their families deserve the respect and appreciation of a grateful nation. It's because of men and women like them the UK still speaks English and not German. Drop the song.
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    It's a great song and people who are going to see a Sabbath band will expect to hear it.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

W.W.S.D.

Seriously, you are in a Sabbath cover band and you are worried about offending people... talk about phoning it in.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman

THANK YOU!!!!

:bassist:
  10. Duckwater

Duckwater

Do it! I can't think of a better occasion for War Pigs.
  11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I don't know. I think it might be one of those cases where if you asked people in general they'd say no, but if you actually played it in front of the actual audience you expect to have it would be well-recieved. Perhaps you simply need to inoculate yourselves against ill-will by introducing the song with a respectful remark about honoring servicemen and women, etc. After all, is it really that much more offensive than, say, War by Edwin Starr? Do Vietnam veterans take offense to it? If they do, I'm unaware of it.
  12. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

War Pigs is about civilian leaders who callously disregard human lives, in achieving their agendas, not about the guys who do the fighting. The lyrics refer to the soldiers as "pawns in chess." Singer is free to blurb a spoken line or 2 about respecting the troops, and honoring the fallen, right before you launch into the song.

PLAY IT!
  13. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

I don't know what this means.

I wanna do it as it's anti-war. Gonna ask the guy who booked us what he recons. If the people want it (and who wouldn't) then we can put it in at the end, just before Paranoid.