1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warm and Fuzzy Tone for the Home

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sanjwise, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Sanjwise

Sanjwise

Hey Everyone!
    I'm new to TalkBass forums and have been lurking for a few months now. I used to play bass in my late teens and early twenties, but was out of touch for almost ten years. I recently bought a beautiful Midnight Blue Rickenbacker 4003 bass (2005) used and have started jamming with friends again.
    I love warm and fuzzy bass tones from the 70's and 90's stoner rock. I listen to alot of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kyuss, Mastodon, etc.
    Right now I play through a fender rumble 150 at home and find the tone lacking in personality. Could be that I don't know how to set the EQ. I usually have the bass and treble knobs set at 1, and the mids at 2.
    Anyway, I've been thinking about buying a new bass head and cabinet for myself. I would play a little at home (very low volume) and occasionally when jamming with friends.
    I don't really know what to get.
    I want a tube amp, cause I have the impression that these sound the best, but everything I've looked at like, SVT300 CL, or Orange AD... seem to be a little overkill for a non-performing bassist like myself. I can afford about $1500 for a used head and cab set so, it might be worth to spend this amount of money.
    Can anyone recommend a really nice "heavy classic rock" bass head for me that would work in the home at low volumes and/or at jam session with friends.
    Is the rumble good enough, and I'm just being a spoiled baby?
    My local music store is selling a 1967 fender bassman with a 2x12 cabinet for $1000. It sounds pretty nice too.
    There is also a Ampeg B15-N available in my area, but it is pretty pricey at $1800.00.

Thanks for any advice!

Sanj

2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

3. Cirk

Cirk

Just for giggles, I plugged my valve junior into my ampeg 1x15 last night. Loud enough for home practice, and killer tone. When I cranked it up, it reminded me a lot of the fuzzed out Geezer Butler sound. The other nice thing is that those amps are cheap and easy to mod, also not hard on the wallet when it comes time to retube. Just my .02 for home use. YMMV