1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warm Fat With a Growl?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pshep68, Jan 24, 2014.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Is there a pickup that is available that will produce a tone that is warm, fat and full while retaining that "growl"?

2. MPU

MPU

Yes. Multicoil pickups like Wals have. Availability is a bit limited though.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo

"Warm, fat, full, growl" can be achieved on any bass, I think, and has more to do with the player than the pickups.

If you are looking for pickup suggestions to fine-tune the sound of your instrument, it is pretty much impossible to help you if you don't tell us what kind of bass you have and what, specifically, you don't like about it that you feel needs improvement? ;)

For example if your bass is routed for Jazz pickups you could start your research here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/j-pickups-discussion-comparisons-part-ii-1024277/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/j-pickups-discussion-comparisons-91384/

Best way to achieve a sound that is "warm, fat and full while retaining that growl" IMHO is to woodshed you right-hand techniques under the guidance of your teacher. (And if you don't have a teacher, read this excellent thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f22/gear-vs-music-tips-beginners-804880/ ) I've found that good bass tone is primarily about how we attack the strings to produce the sound. If you have good right-hand technique, then you can accentuate certain midrange frequencies and manipulate the "envelope" of the sound to achieve your dream tone. :)

4. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Look into Dimarzio Model J's.

I was looking at them and for what you said, they seem to be your perfect match. I wanted something with growl, but more upper mid, treble focused. Model J's seem to be bass/low mid focused with a lot of growl.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

To me, that describes Bartolini pickups.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1, that's exactly how I would describe the tone of the Bartolini Original Series Deep Tone Quad Coils that are in my main bass.

And +1 to DiMarzio's Model-J pickups if the OP is looking for a J-type pickup with that type of tonality. I love the Model-J; IMO it bridges the gap between single coil Jazz pickups and the split coil Precision pickup.

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

is growl the opposite of smooth?

9. Toptube

Toptube

expensive option: reproduction vintage Thunderbird pickups.

economical option: Dimarzio Model J and model P

10. pfox14

pfox14

"growl" has got to be the most over-used bass description out there. Can someone explain what that means? Really. Seriously.

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

12. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

PFox is right, I have never seen a more subjective term on the internet.

13. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

Bill Lawrence "Wilde" P-46

14. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

Yeah, I gotta second this one.

15. JGbassman

JGbassman

+1 on right hand technique. I can play light and get a smooth ful sound. Dig in and get the growl. String choice has a lot to do with it as well, as where you play on the bass. Nice thing about a five string is that long b string thumb rest. Lots of good pups but I'd start with right hand technique. Disregard if this is something you already know about. As stated without knowing what you are looking for and what you are playing with its hard to recommend anything.

16. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    This may or may not be what you're referring to, but I just had a bass made by Drake Custom Bass and went with TV Jones Thunder Blade pickups...for what I'm going for I can't be happier. They have a bit of a Thunderbird quality to them...here's a crappy youtube clip. Does give some idea

17. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

also the Bongo

18. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Yep

19. Thisguy

Thisguy

"Growl" to me, instead of trying to explain it, I'll just say listen to say Jet City Woman by Queensryche. That is growl to me.

20. markanini

markanini

I think there's two ways to achieve growl in terms of choosing pickups. The first relies on a clear voiced pick up, your technique and the type of strings. The second is more brute force and relies on a pickup voicing that exaggerates certain mid frequencies. I'd be wary of the later, your bass might become a one trick pony. Getting that brute force tone on a clear voiced pickup is trivial anyway, all it takes is a non-standard value tone cap of 1.5nf or thereabouts.

21. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

You can't buy Bongo pickups and preamp to put in another bass.