Warm, loud amp...that does 2 ohms???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ric4682, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

I'm picking up a second Ampeg 4 ohm 15 cab to use with my Ric 4003 and so my PF500 just isn't going to cut it anymore. Which is too bad because I LOVE the tone but I don't want to get a power amp and just use it as a pre-amp just so I can use my cabs...but I love the cabs just a little bit more. Besides the Carvin B2000 (tried it and I couldn't dial out the grindy, edgy, modern-y tone) which amps that are less than, say $700, go to 2 ohms? It has to be at least 500 watts. I've looked into the Hartke LH1000 and that seems like a decent option. I like warm, fat, thick bass tone.
    Give me some direction!
  2. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    Why not just use a power amp and drive it with your BDDI?

Would be an option that would cost way less than 700.
  3. lobster57

lobster57

old Traynor Monobloc II
  4. jbassmaniac

jbassmaniac REPRESENTING THE LOW END TO NO END!

The Hartke is a good choice. Their customer service is top rate. Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.2 can go to 2 ohms and can be dialed in on the tube side to be warm n fat. the Carvin BX500 can run 2 ohms and can dial fat but I don't know how fat. You nay need to run an Aguilar Tonehammer as a preamp to get that fatness.
  5. jbassmaniac

jbassmaniac REPRESENTING THE LOW END TO NO END!

You may just want to run a fat tube pre with your power amps. Like some of the studio pres that are out there, or the Tonehammer or Trilogic II from Xotic/EWS. BBE makes a nice Tube Preamp.
  6. ric4682

I have a Sansamp Paradriver that I run in front of my Ampeg for ultimate fatness but I've tried it direct into a power amp and doesn't sound as full an the mids aren't as thick. I'll have to check out that Traynor and that Genz Benz. Does anyone have any experience with the Ashdown ABM 900?
  7. ric4682

Also, I'm not opposed to tube heads as size and weight are no concern. My 115's are over 100lbs each! I just would want to make sure I have enough clean headroom to get LOUD and clean and fat.
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

If 300 watts is enough, the Mesa Walkabout should be on the list.
    Warm, smooth, very adjustable with the para EQ section, well built and very reliable.
    Can sound VERY Ampeg like IME.
    Approx. $500 used.
  9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

The Shuttlemax 12.2 is a two sided 4Ω amp. The highly unfashionable GBE series genzbenz will all do 2Ω though. Very warm or gritty or any other sound you want.

The Carvin BX500 will operate @ 2Ω, although it's 4Ω power is the same.
  10. ric4682

Unfortunately, I don't think 300 would be quite enough. Even if it is, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
  11. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    The Genz Benz 12.2 can not opoerate safely at 2 ohms. It can operate at 600w @ 4 ohms x 2. There are two power modules in the amp, one for each side.
  12. ric4682

It makes no difference to me whether it's an amp is two sided @ 4 ohms or one sided @ 2 ohms as long as it's loud and can run two 4 ohm cabs and does so with thick angus beef steak tone.
  13. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    You need to use the CARVIN BX 1500.....Awesome sounds and very diverse.....
  14. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Aguilar DB750....900watts at 2 ohms. I have one for sale PM me
    if interested.
  15. jobu3

jobu3 Supporting Member

Save up a little more and then go SVT
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

17. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

If a 300 watt Walkabout isn't enough then neither would the SVT (assuming inefficient or single driver cabinet)
    I had both and A/B'd then many times; the overall output and girth were very similar
  18. ric4682

That's okay, as much as I would love to own an SVT they're a little out of my price range anyway.
  19. heliotropic

heliotropic Supporting Member

Look into a Mesa M6 Carbine - http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/carbine/
    It'll do 600 watts at 2 ohms, with all controls at neutral it has an aggressive clean tone, but it won't get too grindy and can easily be dialed into a fatter sound, and using the Deep control gets it really low.
  20. ric4682

I'll check that out! Do any Markbass heads do 2 ohm? They always sounded warm and fat to me.