Warm ups

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by AimeeH, Jun 26, 2012.

1. AimeeH

AimeeH

Hi,

I am doing work for college about health and safety when playing bass. I wondered if you did any warm ups before playing bass? And if you have found any benefits to accuracy or speed after doing them?
    Thanks

2. punchybass

punchybass

I've discovered that consuming Bushmills or any other brand of Irish whiskey approximately 20 minutes before playing the bass is an excellent warm up. I hope this helps.

3. janekbass

janekbass

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    ha! I'm not sure consuming alcohol before playing helps anyone play better...

I always try and make sure I'm warmed up before I play, and one of my favorite things to do is to play rudiments with a pair of drums sticks on a practice pad. As crazy as that might sound... I was actually a drummer before I was a bass player, and playing any kind of drums with sticks in both hands has always increased blood flow and warmed me up really well to play the bass.

I think it's important for your health to warm up before you play, and you're going to decrease the likelihood of injury the more natural flexibility you encourage in your body.

Janek