Warming up a cold amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RSNG, Dec 7, 2013.

1. RSNG

RSNG

My SVT3PRO and 4x10HLF are living in my van right now. It's been getting down below zero at night, and in the single digits during the day. I've always let my gear warm up a bit before turning it on.

But, I'm wondering, can it actually damage an amp to turn it on if it's still really cold?

2. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Yes. When things get cold and then instantly heat up it can cause moisture. ALWAYS warm amps to room temperature before turning them on. Electronics 101.

3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, warm it up to room temp.

FWIW: My personal rule is - if the room/environment is to hot or cold for me to be comfortable, then its to hot or cold for my equipment too.

TIP: Electronics and condensation don't play well together.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. Especially allow your cabinet to warm up properly. If the surrounds are really cold they can crack ruining the drivers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RSNG

RSNG

Thanks, guys. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with this, but I'm going to be much more careful from now on.

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Even in Russian Roulette your chances are at least 5/6. It's that one time you might not recover from :D.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

It never hurts while warming up an amp up to room temperature to blow a fan into it to circulate the air and dispel any condensation.

9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Condensation is caused when cold thing is brought into a warm humid place. If it's really so tough as to cause dew in your amp you probably cause more of it by letting it sit rather than cranking it up right away. Firing a gentle hairdryer through it for a couple of minutes would be in order if it's that extreme, but who does that? Makes me think it's a non problem.