1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warmoth 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hamerguy, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

I am thinking of putting together a 5-string bass from Warmoth parts:
    - Deluxe P 5 body, ash in cherry sunburst
    - Deluxe P 5 neck, maple, ebony fretboard, pearloid block inlays, satin finish
    - Schaller BM Lite tuners, Hipshot string retainers
    - Schaller 2000 5-string bridge

The electronics is the part I am not sure about. I like the Fender Am Dlx P 5. But I really like the classic tones of a passive P. Searching for pickups in the net I haven't found many P5 passive pickups (except for Nordstrand). The Basslines NYC Phase II passive soapbars got my attention. Are these humbuckers that produce a fat tone or do they sound like a J. Do these work well with passive electronics? Should I go active with 5 strings? Well, I have been a 4-string player so far, and most of my basses are active. But I'd really like an organic sound with some serious growl. So, what kind of electronics would you suggest?

2. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps
    This is how I did it.......

Warmoth wouldn't route for a 5 string P pickup .... so I went the Jazz & MM way..... Barts and a Bart pre... the pre can be bypassed and the passive mode sounds as good as the active. Plus the MM is in the MM "sweet spot" so I have a (close) MM sound too..

The 5 String P pickups that I've found are Wilkinson (on E-Bay) one of those and the NYC (which I'm gonna use on my next build with a 3 way switch for each Ser/Parel and single coil) would be about as close as a Fender Am. Deluxe 5 as you're gonna get , I believe. Just get a pre. that has a bypass for passive, in passive mode it will be like a Roscoe Beck

The Wilkison: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilkinson-Lic-V...tem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2556ff60dd

3. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

While I like your build, topcat, I don't think that's what he's looking for.

Hamerguy, I know Sadowsky makes a passive 5 P-p'up -- you might have to pay some real coin, however.

Another thing - if you want that "P" sound, you might reconsider the ebony fretboard - I've had a few fretted basses with Ebony, and I never liked it. Too crisp sounding. Get rosewood - you'll be happier with the sound. Trust me.

4. selowitch

selowitch

For 5-string P pickups, I would look at Nordstrand, Bartolini, or EMG. Actually, I'm pretty sure the EMG 5-string pickup will fit in a conventional 4-string route, so even Warmoth will do that.
    Where does one find a routing template for the Wilkinson?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sbociol

Sbociol

Why not just getting a EMG 35P?It's a splitcoil pick up in an humbucker housing.

7. selowitch

selowitch

Another viable option!

8. pin_head_47

pin_head_47

Have you considered contacting USACG to see if they will do the 5-string P pup route, assuming that Warmoth still won't do it?

9. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Thanks all for your input.

BigOldHarry, you may be right, the ebony board is a bit "un-Fender". I have other basses (which are active and all maple setneck construction) with ebony board so this was my choice for this.

Sbociol, I have a Hamer 4-string bass that has an EMG P/35P set, and while I like the sound it is not what I am looking for on this Warmoth project. I think EMG's have an active sound (which I like though).

As I plan to build a 4-string Warmoth P (passive, 2 P pickups) as well to a later date I might use two Basslines NYC Phase II pickups and go all passive using an Aguilar Tonehammer.

10. topcat2069

Disclosures:
    ;)

I just like showing off my Bass, which, by the way, has a rosewood board with pearloid binding and blocks....LOL

I wanted a 5 string p pickup (I wanted my Warmoth to be like my Fender Am. Deluxe 4 string) but like I said..... no route. I also thought about getting a routing templet and just moving it over (to the bass side and routing the extra width for the 5P pickup.... but I don't have the tools or expertise. The NYCs seem like a good compromise to me... like I said "in passive mode it will be like a Roscoe Beck " just use the 3 way switches and no pre.

11. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I built a Warmoth P5 Deluxe a few years ago with fantastic results.

I used a Nordy NP5 and NJ5S, which are both 5-string pickups in a "4-string" route. Warmoth did the routes no problem, though they wouldn't reverse the P for me.

[​IMG]

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Really? When I used to use Warmoth, I used to get a P5 route all the time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. wyliee

wyliee Supporting Member

No problems doing a P rout on a 5 string. It's still a 4 string pickup rout, but all the 5 string P pickups I've seen fit that rout.

We can do a reverse P too. (Essentially it's a lefty pickup rout on a righty body.) If you call in to place an order, let the sales staff know you got the info from Eric or just email me at: eric@warmoth.com.

14. topcat2069

Disclosures:
    To clarify, I sent Warmoth the Wilkinson (Nordstrand NP5 Pickup for Fender 5 String)
    dimensions and the reply I got was that the CnC guy didn't want to program the dimensions into the machine.... a regular 4 string p route was not the question.

I was only referring to the 3+2 size that Fender used on their Am. Deluxe P-Bass 5, Reggie Hamilton 5 & passive P-Bass 5 (http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_pickupsfenderpbass.htm Far Right)
    With apologizes to Warmoth

sorry for any confusion or apparent misinformation.:bag:

p.s. Mr. Valenti, HOT BASSES !!!!!!

15. wyliee

wyliee Supporting Member

Oh, no worries and no apologies necessary! I was concerned you had received bad information.

Ditto, Nino. Killer basses.

16. angrydad

angrydad

WHERE did you get that pickguard?!!!

17. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I had to make it myself. I still have the template I made of 1/4" pressed board.

It turned out pretty good, but I was limited in the pot locations by the walls of the cavity route, so I had to work with that.

It was fun, but a lot of work to get right. Fortunately, I got the template where I wanted it BEFORE cutting pickguard material.

18. topcat2069

Disclosures:

Also a HOT BASS !!!!

19. topcat2069

Disclosures:
    After all this time........

Attached Files: