1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

warmoth bass extra long scale bass neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by [CRTL+ALT+DEL], Jan 15, 2014.

1. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist Supporting Member

hey guys. is there a company that you can get parts and build your own custom bass like warmoth that has longer scales? maybe a 40" or something in that area?
  2. M0ses

M0ses

The longest scale electric I've ever heard of is the Knuckle Quake.

The longest scale parts bass I've ever heard of is 34". So no, you are certainly not going to find anything close to that long.
  3. Maxwell Badger

Maxwell Badger

You might be able to go with an unlined fretless and a long body. Calculating fret placement is easy enough. You could get someone to fret it for you or for that matter have someone build you a custom neck. I've been thinking of building a 36" scale. I'm curious now as to how many fret positions would be lost.... do you need 20 & 21? Looks like i'll be surfing the warmouth site to see what there longest body is. It would be a cool project.
  4. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

there are longer but theyre customs. the bass player i used to have in my band had a 42" if i remember correctly.
  5. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

i like your thinking maxwell
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Why on earth would you want a 40" scale length?
  7. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

sub contra
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

They are kind of handy if you what to go with a waayyyyy lowwwww tuning
  9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

Moses might make you an extra long neck.
  10. Maxwell Badger

Maxwell Badger

I did some calculations based on warmoth parts and I don't think your gonna get out to 40"'s. .....

Now you got me thinking about my next build..... I have a neck blank and a long piece of mahogany. I measured up last night and I think I could pull off a 40" scale bass. It would double as an electric upright. I just need to look at available truss rods or make my own.
  11. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian

Where you gonna get strings?
  12. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

Circle k or octave4plus
  13. LowG

LowG

Go to the hardware store, get some lumber, make a narrow table as long as you wish (6'?). Buy some length of thick metal cable, like they suspend bridges with. Use some imagination after that and you'll have a fine low-frequency generator.
  14. LowG

LowG

Look up sleepy time gorilla museum