Warmoth Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Old Fart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

I have a chance to buy a fretless bass that is built from a Warmoth body and neck. I have not seen this bass, and wonder about the quality of Warmoth parts. I wonder if they are on a par with Fender Am Std necks and bodies (especially necks). Anybody have problems with Warmoth necks?

I know we don't discuss prices and values, but I wonder if it would be out-of-bounds for me to ask whether a well-built Warmoth bass would have value similar to an American Fender. If this question is out of bounds, then please forgive me.

Another question: Supposedly, this entire bass is finished with Tung Oil. It looks beautiful in the pictures, but that's not my concern. When it comes to neck finishes, I prefer nude wood. Or a finely sanded poly finish (where the sanding can go through the finish for even better results). If this neck wood has been oiled, I wonder if it will feel sticky.
  2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    warmoth is usually right on par with fender american basses and are real nice stuff. they do however usually have a slightly lower resale value if you are comparing similar builds simply because of the lower name recognition. for example, if there is a fender american bass that would sell used for $800ish, the warmoth counterpart would probably fetch $700ish. However, warmoth offers options and wood choices you cant find on a fender and that brings the values up sometimes.
  3. hachi kid

hachi kid

I own a Warmoth I put together 3 years ago. it's easily the best bass I've ever put my hands on. I've played $5000 boutique basses that didn't even compare to me. maybe it's just my approach, but they're just really high quality parts. it's got a huge baseball bat neck on it, and it ended up weighing about 11lbs. I've timed it before when I had it completely unplugged...the low E audibly sustains out for about 20 seconds after I pluck a note. the neck never moves (it has strengthening rods in it), and if I never wang the tuners on anything, I just don't have to tune it. completely rock solid, and a total workhorse.

the only downside is, like eyeballkid mentioned, the relatively poor resale value. that being said, don't put one together if you plan on selling it. I put mine together because I knew I wanted a swiss army bass that would do everything I needed which I would keep for as long as I was alive.

I put it together with the help of my dad and a friend for wiring, but in the end it ran me right under $1500 for it. they painted it, and I bought all the parts. it also has 3 pickups, so that drove up the cost a little bit.
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Warmoth makes great stuff, easily comparable to all the big manufacturers of complete instruments and oftentimes better, IMO.

If applied properly, tung oil has a nice feel that won't be sticky at all.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Old Fart

Old Fart

Thanks, fellow TB'ers. I think I might buy this bass. fretless. As far as the tung oil....I will probably take a solvent to the neck, then sand it lightly. I really do like nude necks.

I think this bass is......a good bass.
  7. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Tung oil if applied properly should feel like pretty much raw wood. It just seals the pores.

As far as quality, don't sweat it. I recently acquired a neck from them and its perfect in every way. Not a flaw to be found. There have been some crazy weather swings in the couple months I've had it and it hasn't budged. I'm getting to the point where I don't even check the tuning before playing it because it never moves. Not in the slightest.
  8. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Great parts. Better quality than American fender stuff I have played. Resale sucks though. I have heard sadowski used warmth parts for a wile in the beginning if that tells you anything. Buy with confidence I would say as long as it was put together properly you should be good.
  9. M0ses

M0ses

I have a fully Warmoth bass, with a tung oil neck.

The bass is of at least as high quality as the MIA Fenders I have tried, and the oiled neck is far less sticky than any sanded poly neck could ever be (which is why I did it that way)