1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warmoth build & fretless fingerboard coating - lots of pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

This was my first time with both the build and the fingerboard coat, so I was a little nervous.

1. Looks like I have all the parts. Alder body, maple / ebony fretless neck, vintage pearl pickguard, EMG pickups, lots of screws. The body is not as red as it looks here, it's more of a charcoal color.
    [​IMG]

2. Drilling holes for the bridge. Measure twice, drill once.
    [​IMG]

3. Lots of little wires ... I feel a headache coming on. At least I don't need to solder anything; it's all plug-in connectors.
    [​IMG]

4. Coating the fingerboard with super glue, following the instructions on the Stewmac web site. Hope I don't ruin the neck!
    [​IMG]

5. After a few more coats, before sanding
    [​IMG]

6. Installing the pickups, pickguard, and control plate while the super glue dries. This is a better representation of the color.
    [​IMG]

7. The fingerboard after sanding and polishing. It turned out really well, IMHO, and wasn't all that difficult
    [​IMG]

8. Who cares, wake me up when it's dinner time
    [​IMG]

9. All done! There were a few things that required use of a Dremel tool - the battery box didn't quite fit, neither did the tuners - but nothing major. I'm pretty happy with it. Looks nice, plays easy, and sounds good.
    [​IMG]
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wow! Very nice looking bass! What's the total in parts cost...if you don't mind?
  3. Jim Nazium

Thanks, it was about $1100 all in.
  4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Got a link to those instructions? I just cruised through teh StewMac site and couldn't find anything pertaining to How To Coat A Fretless Fingerboard. Thanks.

And btw, that bass looks awesome. Nice work!
  5. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

Beautiful bass !
  6. Jim Nazium

Here's the link:
    http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0139.html
  7. pfox14

pfox14

I use Teak Oil to coat my FBs. Can get it at Home Depot. Just wipe on a little every 6 months or so.
  8. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

Wow, stunning.
  9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

That board looks like glass . Nice color for the body as well. Great job and very satisfying I 'm sure.