1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warmoth build & fretless fingerboard coating - lots of pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

This was my first time with both the build and the fingerboard coat, so I was a little nervous.

1. Looks like I have all the parts. Alder body, maple / ebony fretless neck, vintage pearl pickguard, EMG pickups, lots of screws. The body is not as red as it looks here, it's more of a charcoal color.
    [​IMG]

2. Drilling holes for the bridge. Measure twice, drill once.
    [​IMG]

3. Lots of little wires ... I feel a headache coming on. At least I don't need to solder anything; it's all plug-in connectors.
    [​IMG]

4. Coating the fingerboard with super glue, following the instructions on the Stewmac web site. Hope I don't ruin the neck!
    [​IMG]

5. After a few more coats, before sanding
    [​IMG]

6. Installing the pickups, pickguard, and control plate while the super glue dries. This is a better representation of the color.
    [​IMG]

7. The fingerboard after sanding and polishing. It turned out really well, IMHO, and wasn't all that difficult
    [​IMG]

8. Who cares, wake me up when it's dinner time
    [​IMG]

9. All done! There were a few things that required use of a Dremel tool - the battery box didn't quite fit, neither did the tuners - but nothing major. I'm pretty happy with it. Looks nice, plays easy, and sounds good.
    [​IMG]

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wow! Very nice looking bass! What's the total in parts cost...if you don't mind?

3. Jim Nazium

Thanks, it was about $1100 all in.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Got a link to those instructions? I just cruised through teh StewMac site and couldn't find anything pertaining to How To Coat A Fretless Fingerboard. Thanks.

And btw, that bass looks awesome. Nice work!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

Beautiful bass !

7. Jim Nazium

Here's the link:
    http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0139.html

8. pfox14

pfox14

I use Teak Oil to coat my FBs. Can get it at Home Depot. Just wipe on a little every 6 months or so.

9. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

Wow, stunning.

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

11. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

That board looks like glass . Nice color for the body as well. Great job and very satisfying I 'm sure.