1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

warmoth build question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cv115505, Nov 11, 2012.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

I'm doing a Warmoth build and was wondering if I were to were to get the body finished and routed for the pickups after the fact, would it hurt the finish? The reason I ask is that I am using Hanson Chi-Sonic pups and Warmoth has no route option for them so I planned on getting the body unfinished, having my luthier route it out, and sending it back to Warmoth or to Orion to get the finish... I'd rather just get it finished up front if possible but not if the pickup routing will hurt the build.
  2. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

I've done it many times including the Steve Vai handle on guitars and such.
    If you have the right luthier do it you shouldn't have a problem. Dull bits and lack of experience will get you some chips in the finish at the edge of the route. . If that happens and the color is in the finish coat and not applied directly to the wood it may be real hard to repair.
    You will also have to seal the raw wood inside the pickup route,especially around the edges to prevent any chipping after the fact. This work will be double the price of having the work done on an unfinished body.
  3. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

I should have mentioned this perfect example of the work you're questioning.

The trans white modified tele bass pictured in my avatar has a MM pup in the bridge and HAD a J bass pu in the neck position. After I completed the build I found I really didn't like the pickup combination. So I routed another MM pup (after careful placement) in the same spot that the j pup was.
    And yes! I did this after the finish was applied without a problem. even under careful inspection you'd never know it.
  4. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Thanks!... I think I'm just going to play it safe and order the body unfinished and send it back... the luthier I'm working with is someone I have never worked with before... he seems like he knows what he's doing, but I'd rather go the safe route.