1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warmoth build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowEndWooly, Dec 11, 2013.

1. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

Hey guys.. I've been eying this site for a while now and dreaming of a build. I think it is time to slowly start accumulating for the build.

Before I start, though, I want to get input from you guys on hardware and details in the build. I don't know a whole lot about either.

BACKGROUND: I am in love with Stingray Classics.. one humbucker in the sweet spot, the feel of the bass, the versatility in the sound, the general simplicity of it.. I play in a rock band (think Foo Fighters) that plays some sabbath-like riffs, but I also throw in a little (and I mean little) slap here and there. I also play in the worship team at church, which I generally go for a more motown sound.

Equipment: I play through a steamliner into two Aguilar G112s. I have a large pedalboard consisting of a sonic maximizer, empress paraEQ, Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B, Darkglass VMT, Walrus Audio Deep Six, F-Deck HPF, AMT Volume pedal, 3leaf Wonderlove, 3leaf You're Doom, Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine, and a polytune mini.

Quick note on the equipment.. I love the aggies, but I wouldn't mind more volume capacity. I like the idea of getting a Mesa Boogie Prodigy head in the future and something similar to the aggie set up (but with more power), I just haven't figured it out, yet.

So to the goodies.. these are what I'm thinking, but if it sounds like it would be weird, let me know.

Warmoth Body:
    Telecaster solid body with the Music Man Sweet Spot route
    Mahogany Body
    Tummy and forearm cutaway
    3 knob
    Bad Ass III String Thru Bridge
    ivoroid top binding
    topped off with a black to clear burst finish

Warmoth Neck:
    3A Birdseye maple shaft and fingerboard
    graphite stiffening rods
    1.5" nut width (super small)
    slim taper contour
    24 Warmoth Jumbo Stainless Steel frets (ss6115)
    17.5mm tuner hole
    Black mother of pearl inlay
    black side dots
    Graphtech Black TUSQ XL nut
    Vintage Tint satin nitro finish

I'm thinking the Nordstrand MM4.2 PUP. I have that in my Ray34ca and it sounds great.. but I'm always up for opinion. I'm totally clueless on what preamp to choose.. I've heard good things about Sadowsky, but I don't know.

Am I missing anything? So far, it sounds killer, to me.

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Sounds like a nice build... but also sounds like a long way to go full circle and end up back near the starting line. What is it about the Ray34, or even a "real" stingray that has you wanting more, and wanting to go with a Warmoth?

3. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

Good question.. I suppose its the excitement of having something custom made. Picking out the woods, the finish, the guts. I've heard that the Warmoth necks are second to none. My Ray34ca is great and has a Nordstrand mm4.2 in it with the maple neck/fingerboard.. but it just doesn't feel like a real Stingray Classic.

You're right, though.. it is a lot of money to spend on something so similar.. but that's the kind of bass I play now. I just can't get on with anything else, no matter how awesome it is.