Warmoth: cost to build (labor only)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedHotFuzz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

I'm intrigued by Warmoth's short scale P-bass offerings. Having never built a guitar before, and not really having the desire to do so (doubting the quality of my finished product), I assume there must be those with experience willing to assemble an ordered build. What should I expect to pay for such a service?

Thanks.

2. awilkie84

awilkie84

I suggest learning to put it together yourself. It's a great experience and it's really not hard at all!

3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You could very easily assemble a Warmoth. Most of it is pre-drilled - the neck and bridge and pickups. You will need to drill for the pickguard, strap buttons, tuner screws and string retainer. These are easy enough. Use masking tape to mark your drill bit for the desired depth, and that's pretty much all there is to it. You'll find it to be a very rewarding project. Take the money you are willing to pay someone to assemble your parts and put it into a good fret leveling/dressing, and you'll very likely end up with a killer bass that you can say you made yourself.

OTOH, because it's so easy, it shouldn't cost that much if you are paralyzed by the thought of doing it yourself. I would look for a local luthier and have them do the fret work as part of the deal. That's the bigger part of the job. With the fret work? Maybe $100~125?

4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

When I was in Tallahassee, my tech there quoted me $250 to completely assemble a bass from parts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

I just recently had a local luthier do a Warmoth build that involved a lot of additional woodworking: I bought an almost completely blank body, with no pickup routs, or bridge holes, or neck holes...so he had to rout the neck heel (don't ask!), rout for the pickup, rout for the bridge, drill the wire channel from pickup rout to electronics compartment, drill neck mounting bolt holes & insert ferrules...and then install the neck & bridge & pickup, string it up, and do a full action/intonation setup.

$300 plus tax all in.

If you buy a more traditional fully routed body, so that your luthier is just screwing & soldering, no woodwork, it ought to cost you somewhere between $125 and $200, depending on your location.