1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warmoth deluxe 5 Jazz build - Music Man bridge position help.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dolando, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Dolando

Dolando

Hello,

Im itching to order my warmoth deluxe jazz 5, but I need some help on pickup positioning. I want a music man pickup on the bridge position, but I'm not sure how far away from the bridge this is.

If someone could show me their warmoth (deluxe 5 jazz would be ideal) with an MM pickup routed in the bridge position that would really help me out. Failing that, a measurement from G saddle to the bridge side edge of the pickup would do.

Many thanks,

Adam

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    If you want the Musicman pckups in the Stingray sweet spot, you will want the center of the pickup at 30.5" from the front of the nut, if you want a strong bridge pickup placement with the MM, place the center of the pickup at 31.75

3. Dolando

Dolando

Great, do you know if Warmoth use these these kind of measurements for their pickup routs?

Thanks,

Adam

4. Spino

Spino

So what'S the difference,soundwise between the 2 positions and which would be better for fretless ? Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dolando

Dolando

I've seen fretless basses with both, but you would get more growl with one at the bridge position, and the music man position would be a bit deeper. I've not had loads of experience with these but that's what ive found.

7. Spino

Spino

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    I know nothing about what Warmoth does, I don't generally use pre made parts, but I would assume they are accurate.

As for the 2 different positions, the standard Stingray position has a much fuller rounder tone the bridge position is much more thin sounding

9. Dolando

Dolando

Right, I'm still undecided which to go for. Bridge position or music man. I like the sound of the lakland, I think they have it in the bridge position?

10. Spino

Spino

What I'd really like to know ..and I did ask on TB but got no response is ...Does anyone know the diff between the early fretted/fretless 1 pup Rays positions (ala Pino )
    and the later 2 pup Rays or if, over the years the positions have actually changed.
    I'm going to have to route for a F'less soon so I'd like to know. Either I 'll stick to the over the harmonics method or use the early Ray fretted position . Wow what a palaver Ha ha !

11. Dolando

Dolando

I'm not sure in your problem, but here is a video of a lakland 55-02 fretless. And this MM pickup is in the bridge position. And you get a nice amount of deep Full sound with the thinner low mid sound.

This is what I'm going for, but for a fretted.

12. Spino

Spino

I don't have a problem it's just a lack of information.The question is what is the optimal position for a 1 pup fretless bass ? I like the sound of the Ray but can't get anyone to give me a measurement .

13. Dolando

Dolando

This was posted a bit earlier. Is this what ou need?

14. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    And he missed this too, I guess you are supposed to pm the answers to his phone.....LOL

15. Dolando

Dolando

Haha maybe...

I've decided on MM in bridge position with a single J on the neck. Think ill get this ordered pretty soon. :)

16. Spino

Spino

Oh! you guys are real presumptuous smart-asses !!! I was trying to get a discussion going and possibly a list of tried and tested pickup positions that everyone could refer to .For instance ,why are the standard JB positions over the 2 weak harmonics when theres a much stronger one right in between which would maybe be better for a 1 pup fretless ?
    But you know I'll find my answers elsewhere in future .Finger !!!

17. Dolando

Dolando

Take your key out, We were only joking around, No need to get all angry and offensive about it.