1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

warmoth experience?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 50hz, May 20, 2012.

1. 50hz

50hz

does anyone have any experience with warmoth? how does the quality and craftsmanship compare to name brand pre-built? im asking about both necks and bodies?
    what would you compare them to?

1. squire
    2. fender mim
    3. fender mia
    4. boutique
  2. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

Do ya have a number higher than 4?

I have done some guitar stuff starting way back in '84 or so. It is high quality stuff. But as the name is not well recognized by the masses, re-sale is not very high.
  3. 50hz

50hz

cool! that's good news!
  4. 50hz

50hz

I was wanting to put together a bass piece by piece. just wanted to know what kind of quality to expect.
  5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

The necks can be pretty heavy with those rods that they put in them. They might offer an option to not have them now though.
  6. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

They do indeeed

Just finished my build, no neck dive and I have the steel rods.
    Super high quality craftsmanship, won't be dissapointed.
    I suggest hiring a luthier, I feel like professional assembly and setup makes a giant difference
  7. 50hz

50hz

they actually have the option of graphite rods instead of steel. is this recommended?
  8. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

My last build had a Warmoth neck. I like it very much, but don't have much to compare it to, unfortunately. It's a 5 string deluxe neck. It feels chunky, but is very comfortable to play. (Somehow it feels easier to play than a 4 string (MIM) Fender jazz neck.)

Mine have steel rods, so there is a little bit of neck dive, but paired with an alder body and a brass Hipshot bridge it's not bad at all. I'm sure it would balance perfectly if I had lightweight tuners on it. The bass overall is pretty heavy, though.

That depends on what you want. Even response or light weight.
  9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have a Warmoth neck with the steel rods, It has never been a problem. I guess I could cause a little neck dive in a super light weight body, but I haven't noticed the neck being all that heavy.
  10. 50hz

50hz

is the neck dive with steel rods more or less than say a Gibson eb-0? (sg)
  11. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

my buddy has a bass neck with the steel rods, and it doesn't have a problem with diving at all.
  12. 50hz

50hz

even response? is there a tonal difference between the two? or is a body to neck resonance thing?
  13. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

The necks are heavy but they are very solid and have great tone. The all-around quality is as good or better than anything you'll buy elsewhere, boutique or otherwise. Definitely better than Fender MIA or what have you. Whether or not it all works together depends on how well you put it together. It's not necessarily plug and play and may need some skilled adjusting. Or, in my case, the patience to learn to do it well. But that is true with any components that you put together.

All this said, I eventually opted for a lighter USACG neck. Doesn't feel as solid, but the weight was bugging me. Not sure if I did the right thing or not.
  14. Steveaux

Steveaux

Search "Warmoth" in Basses.

Many threads there.
  15. Grabow

Grabow

no dive, true neck dive is more about body design then neck weight
    go with the steel rods (tremendous saustain and stability) and their "slim taper" neck contour
    I would reccomend that you get your neck from thier "showcase" are (already made)
    you can sort the available necks based on weight
    Warmoth are great
  16. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Most of their necks will require a fretleveling & recrowning, I've found.
  17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Right, same as any other aftermarket neck.

Once done, you'd indeed have a top-notch instrument; I'd put the build quality somewhere around "fender USA deluxe" or "music man".
  18. bjabass

bjabass

The one in my avatar is 10+ years old and has never had the truss rod touched since I put it on. It IS heavy, but has less dead spot trouble than my other (3) Fender basses. It feels like you could use it for construction demolition....it is ROCK solid.
  19. 50hz

50hz

see, that's what gets me. after you pay $300 for a neck, you have to turn around and shell out more money for a full fret leveling/ crowning.
  20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that's why you don't buy parts instruments to "save money", you buy them to get specific design combinations you can't get otherwise, or for the fun of "rolling your own".

they make a very nice neck then put the frets in it, but the leveling (under tension preferably) and crowning/polishing is up to you.