Warmoth/Gotoh Screw Location (formerly "Hipshot 'A' Bridge Issue")

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fu22ba55, Jul 19, 2010.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

EDIT: This is a Gotoh / Warmoth issue. NOT a Hipshot issue. (See post below).

Has anyone else run into the following issue with the Hipshot A-style bridge?

I can't seem to intonate the G string properly. I've run out of bridge. I've got the saddle as far forward as it can go while still gripping the screw, and it's basically almost ready to fall out of the bridge... and the G string is almost intonated, but almost isn't doing it for me.

I mean, dang... look how far forward ALL the saddles are!

I held up a GOTOH 201 bridge for comparison... it's a rough comparision I know, but I tried to line up the screw holes the best I could...

This is mounted on a Warmoth Jazz Bass body, so I'm *pretty* confident the holes were drilled in the correct spot. And the GOTOH looks like it would work fine (which is my plan B).

(I'm using D'Addario standard gauge strings: .45-.105. this might be the issue. I usually use a .50 or .55 for the G string, so maybe I'd be OK with a .50?)

(I've double checked intonation with two different (high quality) tuners. And I've been intonating my basses for 25 years, so I hope I know what I'm doing by now.)

Has anyone else had this issue?

Attached Files:

2. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I had an issue like this, but not as bad as yours. IF there is room left on the baseplate of the bridge (can't tell from your photo) then you can email Jason Ungleich at Hipshot (great guy) and he will ship you some longer screws. Of course if you're needing to go past the front edge of the baseplate to intonate then you probably have no other option but to relocate the bridge.

The good news is that is really not a big deal.
  3. fu22ba55

Thanks Marcus.

I've had some emails back and forth with Jason over some other items, and he is a super-nice guy. I kind of don't want to bug him about this because I have a sinking feeling my holes were drilled too far back. (Which is mind boggling since Warmoth is a CNC shop.)

My set screws are flush with the end of the baseplate. If they move forward any more, then the set screws will be hanging off the baseplate, which I don't like.

Do you remember what gauge strings you were using with yours?

This body is brandy-brand new... I'd kind of like to not add additional holes to this baby if possible. This one is supposed to be my "nice" bass.
  4. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I generally use 45-125 although with the SR2000s (being a Dean Markley guy) it's like 46-128.

It's looking like you have only 2 options. Another bridge with more travel on the baseplate or relocate your Hipshot.

It's not nearly as traumatic as it seems if done right. If you have a tech plug the holes right and redrill and move your bridge maybe 1/2" or so, you'll get it back in tune and you'll be blissfully unaware anything was ever done by looking at it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan

I plugged the holes when I switched out a Schaller with an ABM on my Modulus- easy fix.

If Warmoth drilled the holes specifically for the Hipshot bridge model, then they were drilled too far back. If it was originally for the Gotoh, then the holes were about right. With .045- .065 gauge G & D strings, I like to see a little bit of baseplate beyond the leading edge of the saddle. On my Hipshot A, I have about .125" distance beyond the G string saddle. I hope this helps.
    R
  7. lbwdog

lbwdog

Not being a guitar/bass tech, I can only offer my advice as a 40+ year player who's always done his own setups.

On a 34" scale Fender type bass, the length should be correct from the nut to the bridge (34"), give or take a little for intonation adjustments. If the neck or body is not designed for this scale length, the frets will not match up for intonation.

There is a scale somewhere on line that will give you precise fret positions (in inches or mm) for any scale bass. You might find that's where your problem lies.
  8. lbwdog

lbwdog

9. fu22ba55

I think you've cracked the code.

I specified Gotoh when I ordered the Warmoth body because I assumed the Hipshot A (three-hole Fender-friendly version) would be interchangeable with the Gotoh.

I'll figure something out. I'll either change string gauges or slap the Gotoh 201 on there. I'm not so married to the Hipshot that I'm ready to "drill baby drill."

Live and learn.
  10. fish slapper

fish slapper

When I went from classic Fender bridge to Hipshot on my Warmoth, the shop drilled new holes. So, another vote for the holes just might not line up perfectly front to back.
  11. fu22ba55

So here's the deal. Warmoth drills the Gotoh 201 screw holes 1/2" further back than "stock" Fender holes. I just measured both of my 70's Fenders and both of my Warmoth bodies, and from the neck pocket to the screw holes, the Gotoh 201 holes are 1/2" further back.

(Fender are approx 11 & 1/16th" and Gotoh are approx 11 & 9/16th". Don't quote me on these measurements. I didn't get all Rainman about it, I just checked with a yardstick.)

This is super OK for the Gotoh 201 and the Badass II (since the baseplate is so deep, but HEADS UP, the standard Gotoh screw holes are too far back for "vintage" style (1.75" or 2" deep) bridges.

This is kind of confusing, since I thought the Gotoh option on Warmoth bodies was totally interchangeable with vintage Fender bridges. And while the screw holes are the same pattern, they are too far back.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Attached Files:

12. Darren Low

Darren Low

So... if I want to order a Warmoth body and put a Hipshot A on it, I should drill the holes myself?
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

No. Just be sure you tell them which bridge you have, and include the spacing info. (.708) for example.