Warmoth neck finishes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

I'm kicking around picking up a P or J bass neck from Warmoth and am undecided on finishes. Aesthetically, I suppose I want it to look good, but I'm more concerned with how it feels. A few weeks back I stopped in a local music store and there was a used Epi Jack Casidy that I played. The price was more than I was willing to pay, but I must admit the neck felt like silk - I suppose if I were to have to choose adjectives that describe it I would say (and I'm referring to the back of the neck here) it felt fast, dry, silky...it honestly had a very slick feel that I really enjoyed and haven't ever felt on any of my Fenders. (Note: the Epi was black and the neck was also black). My question to anyone here with a background on Warmoth finishes, which finish would/did you choose? Hopefully some of you players can relate to the "sensation" I'm referring to - it was the first time I've felt a neck like that and I almost bought the bass by virtue of that alone.
  2. Steveman

Steveman

My Warmoth has a natural satin finish, it's slick and very ideal for optimal playing efficiency.
  3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Hmmm...I wonder if that would be what they call clear satin nitro.
  4. bassplace

bassplace Supporting Member

Yes. I just got one with the vintage tint. Haven't had much chance to play it but i think it matches your description
  5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Got one recently in clear satin nitro. Very silky. Not sticky in the least and feels great for moving quickly up and down the neck. Almost feels like raw wood.
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Satin nitro finish is probably what you're looking for, you can get it in clear or vintage tint. For maple back necks its a great option. If you go with a rosewood or wenge back neck you can leave them unfinished and they will have a similar feel.
  7. line6man

line6man

I would suggest a neck wood that can be played raw. I'm never going back to finished necks.
  8. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Mine is finished with left-hand thumb oil... :D
  9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

+1
    Whenever I have the option for raw wood necks I take it. Maple necks are the overwhelming norm for basses and unfortunately that requires a finish of some kind. Wenge/wenge and Rosewood/rosewood are my two favorite necks and both can be played in the raw! The Warmoth website does a good job at identifying which neck woods don't need a finish.