1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warmoth neck on a divey MIJ Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pkstone, Jan 17, 2014.

1. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

I've been looking at putting a fretless Warmoth neck on my '86 MIJ Jazz (62 RI).

With the original neck and tuners, the bass is a little neck-heavy, enough that I don't enjoy playing it that much. (I gather from searching TB that some of the basswood-bodied MIJs can be kind of neck-heavy, and this one is basswood.)

I'm trying to figure out:

1) will putting a maple/ebony Warmoth fretless neck on this bass make the neck-dive worse? -- my guess is that it probably will, since Warmoth necks are a little heavier than stock. So,

2) if I use carbon rods and Ultralites on the new neck, what's the probability I'll be back to a well-balanced bass?

2. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

#2 should really help but it ultimately depends on the weight of the body vs neck.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

I would just put lighter hardware on the Fender neck. For neck dive, I always just use a wide leather strap so that the bass grabs my shoulder and doesn't dive. My first bass was a MIJ Fender P-Bass from 1988 (I was 13 years old so the bass was nearly bigger than I was), and I had no neck dive issues with that bass even with the big 70s style tuners it had.

4. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

Thanks for the input, Lownote. That would be what I would do if I weren't looking to convert the bass to fretless.

Also, I already have a wide strap and I still don't like the balance. I know most Jazz basses don't have a problem with this, but this particular MIJ does, probably because of its light body.

5. Register to disable this ad