1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warmoth necks heavy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Axtman, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Is it me or do Warmoth necks seem heavy? I am not talking about the exotic hardwood necks but just the regular maple with rosewood board variety.
  2. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Yes. They have reinforcement in them and are generally a bit heavier than other necks. I believe their FAQ used to state as much. Don't know if they still have it up.
  3. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

I think I remember someone stating that the steel bars in a Warmoth neck add about 4 ounces over the entire length of the rod. Pretty minimal.
    They definitely sound and feel very solid.
    They also offer graphite stiffening rods for a bit more money ($60?)
  4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

In addition to mandatory bars they also have a double acting truss rod (what they call "pro" in the guitar world where you can have lighter rods).

Many are also ordered with heavy tuners.
  5. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I have a bunch of necks hanging in my basement "shop".Here's the rundown.All necks unloaded unless noted.
    MIM p bass m/r - 2lb 1oz
    MIM jazz m/m 2lb 2oz
    SX p bass m/r 2lb 3oz
    SQUIER p bass 2LB 4oz w/ lic.schallers
    Kramer alum. 2lb 5oz w/tuners
    epi t bird 2lb 8oz w/tuners
    unknown p m/r 2lb 4oz
    WARMOTH:
    bubinga jazz 2lb 8oz w/ultralights
    p bass, m/ebony 2lb 9oz
    tele bass,m/r 2lb 3oz
    32"scale m/r 2lb 4oz
    bubinga p bass 2lb 2oz
  6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Yes their necks weigh more then most. Can be a real issue if your bass is at all dive prone with the stock neck.