1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warmoth Short (or Med) Scale Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassin Buddy, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Bassin Buddy

Bassin Buddy

:help:I am interested in something lighter than my P bass. Age is not being kind to my back. Please talk to me about your short or medium scale bass. Any information that you would care to share, good or bad, would be helpful. I am wondering about tone, playability, and any other information that you feel would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. bcb123

bcb123

My first bass was a Beatle bass copy, short and light. Loved it. Then I found out that I was supposed to play a Gibson or a Fender. So I got an EB0. Still small, but not as light. Then as the years went by, I went from full scale, max. weight Ibanez Musician EQ to this and that before getting on a whim mind you, a Danelectro Longhorn back in the late 90's. Loved that for the surf and rockabilly I was playing at the time, but it didn't have the look I needed for the country band I was joining. Tried a Precision, but my back began to get sore during gigs, so I wanted something light. I got a Birdsong Corto bass and have played that on most of my gigs since 2005. Love that bass! Still, not exactly the look I want. So, I got one of the new 32 inch Warmoth necks and a jazz style body for it and built my own. It's very light (extra light swampash)and sounds and looks great. I even put the Kent Armstrong lipsticks on there as a nod to my surf years. I had a 32 in. scale for a short time in the mid 80's and always wanted another. I finished it in the minwax poly and it was almost too easy. There's something nice about makin' a bass exactly how you want it to be. Also, by the 3rd set, it's not killin' my back. Time will tell if it will push the 31 in. scale, under 7 lbs, Corto bass, out of it's number one slot but we shall see.
  3. bcb123

bcb123

BTW, Hofner's CT basses are very nice, very light, easy to play and not to costly if you dig that sound. I have one, and I even wired it up to go into single coil mode but it still does not quite get the sound I'm looking for. The bridge system gives it good tension and I put med. guage roundwounds on it (50-105) for better tone. I like it, but it's got a unique sound to it that I sort of get tired of after about the first set.
  4. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

I put a Warmoth 32in together, ash body and wenge neck. Heavy thing. Plays and sounds great though. Lighter woods might be the thing, but there are lighter ways to go.
  5. ghostdog93

ghostdog93

Does it have to be a Warmoth short or medium scale? There are quite a few short scales on the market at the moment that might fit your needs.
  6. bcb123

bcb123

I suppose that I should add that I ordered my 32 Warmoth body in "extra light swamp ash" and use the light tuners from Warmoth and a Hipshot aluminum bridge. It can't be more than 7 lbs. Use a 3.5 to 4 in strap and that will help too. One of the main things for me was that the 34 in. scale, regardless of string guage, just pulls my back outta joint due to where it places my arms to play it properly. My short scale Hofner and med. scale Grestch do the same thing because of the body thickness. Danelectro Longhorns, and my 3 hand made basses do not tire me due to weight and playing ease. I use 50 - 105's on them too, so it's not finger pressure so much as a combination of "reach" and dead weight I think.
  7. tony moore

tony moore

curious, does anyone know if the warmoth 32" necks use their steel bars or graphite rods? i don't see this listed on their website.

thanks,

tony
  8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

If you open up their neck builder page for 32" it says short scale necks do not use stiffening rods.
  9. tony moore

tony moore

thanks! i obviously missed that somehow :)

tony
  10. bcb123

bcb123

My 32 neck came with a truss rod, but the allen key for it was not standard music inst. fare. I found what I needed at Northern Tool.