1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warmoth SS P-Bass vs Std P-Bass tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedHotFuzz, Apr 14, 2014.

1. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Since it seems no one but Warmoth provides the option of a SS P-Bass configured equally to a standard scale P-Bass (at least in the sub-$2k range), does anyone have any experience with the tonal differences between the two? Or any guesses?

I'm loving playing bass already and am already looking for my upgrade model (I'm starting with a Gretsch Junior Jet II). I like the short scale. I'd like something with a contoured body for comfort. I'm not enjoying the slab body of the Gretsch (though I like everything else) compared to my body-hugging AmStd Strat. So I've been browsing the Warmoth site.

Any thoughts?

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

my guess is ,it would be very very close . getting closer more or less depending on electronics and strings . Warmoth does 2 ss scales , 32" and 30" IME 30" instruments have a little more 'thud" to them for lack of a better word especially depending on the strings you use . I have 2x 32" Warmoth builds and a 3rd is in the near future , neck is already on the way and it will have a p pickup . They both offer up many excellent tonal ranges and play so easy . I'm a fan !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mongo2

mongo2

I've built both long and short scale Warmoth P and J basses. Both scale lengths work very well yielding the expected available tonalities depending whether it's a P or J and the selection of components with no tonal differences that can definitively be attributed to the length of the scale.

In other words, both the long and short scale P and J basses sound like a P and J are expected to sound.

However, in your situation I'd probably just contour the body of Gretsch.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

What is the body wood on this one? Very nice looking.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Seems like a lot of work/expense for a $300 entry-level instrument. :eek:

7. mongo2

mongo2

I can do the work myself so it's essentially free.

8. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

I would hate to see the results of my own work. :(

9. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

Thanks yeah I scored that from an employee there that was his personal build . It's one piece Claro Walnut w/ Ziricote neck which I added luminlay too :ninja:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thisguy likes this.
  10. mongo2

mongo2

^^Noyce^^

That's some chunk of walnut.

11. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

What kind of bridge is that?

12. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

That was on it when I bought it , I did ask about it and seem to recall it was a "Generic ebay" deal . It weighs a ton though , all brass . It's hefty .

13. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

yeah , this wee bass hits right around 10 lbs. It's doable though :bassist: I love these Warmoth 32" necks , freakin love'em ! That one has their Gold frets on it , which are pretty cool but I usually get the vintage size ss frets when I have the chance .

14. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

The bridge looks a lot like G&L's. I love the beefiness of those.

15. Freddels

It's a GOTOH bridge.

16. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Hmm, I couldn't find anything on the Gotoh site that looks like that...

17. Freddels

18. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Yeah, I saw that one. Looks slightly different - the sidewalls of the bridge seem to taper down whereas they are a consistent height on the bass shown on the photo above. Maybe just bad photography on the website?

19. Freddels

No, I think the one pictured here is all brass and the ones on the website have only brass saddles. But you can see that it's a Gotoh bridge.

20. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

I've been wanting to go with black hardware with this bass since I got it and just did today . I left my vintage brass T tree though but the bass lost some weight for sure. that Gold bridge weighs a ton . So this is my 2nd Hipshot Aluminum B now and I'm dig'in them big time .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    before

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]