Warning about Cheap 2004 Rickenbacker 4003 In VaBeach area, also on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Thatguy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Thought I'd do my fellow TBers a twofold favor. I wanted to let you guys and gals know of a relatively inexpensive 4003 in Mapleglo, but by the same token, I wanted to advise you in advance of damage that's not being disclosed on the Ebay listing.
    This one's a 2004, so there's nothing specifically desirable about it except, of course, that it's a real Ric! The buyer was asking $1,100 two weeks ago on CL with two very generic photos, and really had no clue about the usual Ric issues ("what's tail lift?", "what serial number on the what plate?" and even non-Ric-specific "what's buckle rash?"). He claims to have owned it since 2005 and only played it a "handful of times" in the original CL ad which now has more photos and a different description. You'll notice that the CL ad has it listed as a "Rickbacker."
    Long story short, if you're in the VaBeach area, you can buy it for a grand. That's the good news.
    Bad news is, there's a cigarette burn on the binding that he sent me a photo of, but he chose NOT to announce that condition in his Ebay listing. Also, if you see the hardcase pic, it's obviously been dropped at some point. A case doesn't collapse its feet and crack by just sitting in a closet.
    These two points have turned me off of it, because if these are the things that you *would* notice in person, it certainly makes you wonder what isn't being told. I'm not even trying to make a deal on it now, but if any of you guys can look at it in person and play it first and want a 4003 for a grand, here's a chance.
    Cheers!
    http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/4280414616.html
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacke...4-/181304480262?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a3696d206
  2. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Post-Script-- seller added the note on Ebay about the cigarette burn after I called him out on it and mentioned that he owes the truth to any potential bidders. He claimed he "forgot" until I brought it up.
    Take his forgetfulness with a grain of salt.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    Moved to Basses- not being sold by you, and doesn't seem to be a hot deal based on the sketchiness of the seller :)