Warr Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

What are some prices on Warr guitars

Especially the Artist 8 String

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Dave Grossman told me that they retail at $2400.

3. Dave Grossman

Dave Grossman Supporting Member

That's what I heard from a guy who was selling one in January 2001 and what I seem to remember from their site when they used to have prices posted. Prices may have changed though. My guess is that a basic Warr Artist 8 is in that range. Perhaps a basic version with less exotic woods might be a little less. I got mine used from coyoteboy ( thanks again! I play it all the time! ).

It's a fantastic instrument. I can play it like a bass or a guitar or as a tapping instrument. The slider strap and the locations of the strap buttons make it easy to change positions. That is, play it more vertically or more horizontally. I can play it like a bass when I'm sitting down fairly easily.

Here's the obligatory photo:

[​IMG]

They do come up for sale now and then on the TapTalk mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taptalk/

and probably at StickWire too:

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/STICKWIRE-L.html

Just note that due to a lawsuit filed by Emmett Chapman who invented the stick against Warr Guitars, Trey Gunn, and a few others around 1995, there is much animousity between Warr Guitar players and Chapman Stick players. It's probably best not to post any Warr Guitars-related messages to StickWire. I would just lurk there and see what comes up.

- Dave

4. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

Y'know, Emmett Chapman is a moron. I mean, his patents expired in 1991 or 1992.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave Grossman

That's not what he sued about. It wasn't over intellectual property but rather over marketing practices. I think he claimed that Warr Guitars and the people that promoted it used Stick Enterprises trademarks in an effort to steal customers. Among other claims that were shown to be bogus or not against the law.

There is a lot to it and I am not 100% sure what went on. I've read bits and pieces at web sites and on newsgroups and mailing lists. From what I understand, he had no real case and many of the charges were fabricated or based on internet-based correspondences. Imagine someone suing us for the postings we make at talkbass.com!

The only real credible information ( probably a bit biased though ) about the lawsuit is available at:

http://www.traktor.com/lawsuit/

- Dave

(fixed typo)

7. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

Well, I'm not gonna get a Stick anytime soon, then. I once was threatened with a lawsuit by Chapman because, on =alt.guitar.bass, I claimed that the Warr is "probably" a more versatile instrument than the Stick.

I called him a wanker and a Nazi (being that I was 16 at the time) and left it at that.

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Off-Topic:

This was funny when I first read it: "Although California has 'anti-SLAPP' statutes.." :D

9. Mr M

Mr M

Hi,

I tried to subscribe to taptalk a while ago when Dave gave the link (thanks Dave!) for the yahoogroup but it still says my membership is pending. Why I haven't accepted yet? Do they do an inspection prior to accept to the group? :D

BTW I was dreaming of buying that Warr from Coyoteboy. Hell, there are lots of thing that I dream which don't become real, Liv Tyler hasn't called me yet :D :D

When I've first seen Dave's new Warr I said "wow, how similar it looks like the Warr that Coyoteboy was selling" Now I've learned the truth :)

One week ago I've lost a bass on ebay too, which was in my price range but bloody someone clicked that buy it now button before me when I was searching someone in the States to have the bass shipped (because the seller was refusing to send outside of the USA)

10. Dave Grossman

Here's my latest Warr:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not as pretty as my 8-string though.

This is a no-frills 12-string. It's tuned in fourths like a 6-string bass on the bottom and an octave higher on the top. That instrument was once owned by Jim Wright who works at Warr. He is one of the pioneers of the "uncrossed fourths" tuning. I've seen him play one like mine. He did some intricate zappa and crimson along with a drummer but it was like a full band sound-wise.

- Dave

11. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

Holy Phalanx, Gross-Man!

:D

12. Dave Grossman

Actually. That's an "Artist" model. The Phalanx came after that one. That one may have been part of the inspiration for the Phalanx due to the tuning configuration and the fact that it's owner started working at Warr around the same time that the Phalanx came out. That's mostly speculation though.

- Dave

13. Justin V

Justin V

That thing almost puts JT to shame. How are you suppossed to play that thing.

Oh who am I kidding? I want it!!! :D

14. Dave Grossman

It's played like ...

[​IMG]

- Dave

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey Dave Im digging your Warr's.maybe I will check one out when Im close to one,hopefully at the summer NAMM.

16. Silverstar

Silverstar

Is it possible to get a Warr stringed from High to low and not with seperated bass parts ? And would it be possible to get one with a fanned fret system ?
    Im' really interested in this tapping thing but I also want it to use it as a normal bass :D

17. geshel

geshel

The price-list is now back online.

http://www.warrguitars.com/price.html

As far as lawsuits and everything, all I know is that at one point on Stickwire, the old webmaster of the Warr Guitars website seemed to have a conversation with himself, under two different pseudonyms. "He"* posted about wanting a more affordable Warr Guitar, then advised himself to check out the new Raptor model, then "bought" one and exclaimed its virtues. When in fact the public couldn't even buy them yet. He made the mistake of signing one post using the other alias (contradicting his email address), and people caught on. Subsequent whois lookups traced both accounts (and the domains they were registered on) back to one William H. Hurley, then webmaster of www.warrguitars.com. When Yuta posted about this, he wrote a nasty post threatening to sue etc. Unfortunately he mistakenly used the "wrong" email account he was claiming not to be. The lawsuits followed very quickly. (but charges were ultimately dismissed).

(edit): The lawsuits might have already been filed before this happened, I don't remember the exact time frame.

I've never met either the Chapmans or Mark Warr, and my dealings with them personally have been brief (talked to Yuta on the phone when I bought my Stick) and nonexistent, respectively. So I sit on the sidelines. I posted this not to slam either side (see the disclaimer below), but to retell an interesting tale about woes of the Net.

* of course, it's always possible that "his" posts were actually spoofed by someone else. Who knows. The Net has a long way to go in terms of legalities.

18. geshel

geshel

Well, that's how Dave's (and most) 8-string is set up. Likewise the Stick Bass and NS/Stick models. All are 8 strings, straight up.

Also, generally, both companies will set one up in almost any tuning you want.

19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon

Disclosures:
    None.
    sue Trey Gunn?!?!?!

JEEZUS!

that stinks. what the hell is wrong with these people?

f

20. Silverstar

Silverstar

How is Phalanx 14-string exactly tuned ?

21. geshel

geshel

Something along the lines of:

Bass: BEADGCF
    Melody: G#C#F#BEAD