1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warrior Preamp "Old" vs 2012

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RJMiller, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RJMiller

RJMiller Supporting Member

Read the sticky and did a search, but didn't find an answer to my question. If there is a thread, I missed it - didn't enter the correct search terms?

Anyway..................

Bought a used Warrior - no serial number. Contacted Warrior and JD suggested I send it in for "Warrior Care". I has a few cosmetic issues and considering it is a hard to come by seven string I am thinking of paying for Warrior Care and a refinish with the current oil finish JD recommends.

It has Bartolini pickups and the 4 knob preamp layout with stacked treble/bass and three position mid freguency switch.

JD also suggested that the preamp be updated to the 2012 preamp that has "tighter mids and punchier lows".

Has anyone updated the "old" preamp for the 2012 Warrior preamp? Much difference? Worth the cost ($290 or $190 if you pay for Warrior Care.) The tone I prefer is very open and full spectrum - perhaps piano like - dark and resonant, but not tubby. (But, trying to describe tone may be absolutely worthless.)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

RJM
  2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Joiner & Ben Lindsey Basses - Maker: XB Custom Cables
    How old is yours? The serial number is on the end of the body end of fretboard... It took me a month to find it. :rolleyes:

I bought a '97 Warrior in Feb 2009. Later that spring I chatted with JD and sent it in for Warrior care. My pickups and electronics were also recommended for an upgrade. I went ahead... new Bart pickups and Bart/Warrior preamp to current specs (at that time). Got it back. Happy guy! It even played better with the tuned up setup they did.

Some in the Warrior Club... (join up) are not fans of the 'sparkle circuit'. I just hear it as another flavor of bass. (Lots of discussions about it in the club thread)

I'd do it again.

Before...

[​IMG]

After... Note the wood. Whatever they did really made it. (I also added new custom knobs by JD - and the decadent Alligator Warrior gig bag)

[​IMG]
  3. daddy like

daddy like

I'm a warrior fanatic but have had alot of high end basses. Over the years, I have had 14 warriors and another is coming straight from JD this wednesday. :hyper: This will sound absolutely lame but I cant really tell a difference with a newer preamp. Every Warrior, old and new, that I have had has 3 band active eq. I am the guys selling the 5 on TB now.
    I generally get my tone from placing my right hand in different areas and not keeping it in 1 spot. That with the woods, with the 3 band eq gives me personally any tone I want. I currently have about 5 warriors. Good luck.
  4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Joiner & Ben Lindsey Basses - Maker: XB Custom Cables
    I agree totally. Mine had issues that needed resolving, so I didn't do the change of electronics for any other reason. The bass was much more playable on the return, which was my goal.
  5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I don't know what they did to that wood but wow that looks nice it's also cool they have that service that allows you to get upgrades and a finish restoration I like that.
  6. RJMiller

RJMiller Supporting Member

My Warrior is being sent to JD for Warrior Care this week.

JD said he would play it to determine if he would recommend the new preamp. I like the tone with the existing preamp so, based on your replies I am going to pass on the preamp change.

Will spend my money on some other issues that I want taken care of that may not be a part of Warrior Care. Thanks for saving me some money. I really appreciate it.

RJM
  7. daddy like

daddy like

I posted earlier and want to change my view since I just got another warrior 6 that came yesterday. This one is new and has the new preamp. Its ALIVE!! Heavy output. Easy to get midrange distortion/growl if that your thing. My older ones were great but this one is greater. The older warriors I had were from years ago so I was going off memory. I THINK he started changing them about 2 years ago. If its inexpensive I would go with it or sell your bass and get a newer one.