1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warwick 1000 watt class D amp???

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by brotherbassj, Jan 17, 2013.

1. brotherbassj

brotherbassj Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    Paging Garey.....please tell us about this Warwick class D 1000 watt amp I just saw on Facebook!!!

2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Hmmm.......2 things bug me right away. The wood panel sides (I woulda went with solid black) and the single speakon output. Looks to be a very nice amp though.

4. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

I guess one thing that bugs me about the video is the accusations that some manufactures are essentially lying about the wattage of their amps. I have a 500 watt Class D amp that I would be shocked to find this particular manufacturer lying about specs. Just saying...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Veldar

Veldar

I'd get one If I still used amps.

7. socialleper

socialleper

I'm totally pumped that Warwick has joined in the light weight head revolution. I have some real reservations about the design of that thing though. The idea of the small heads is portability; that thing is pretty big. It also looks like a piece of my Dad's vintage stereo equipment from 1975. Brushed silver face with wood sides? Huh?! There is a difference between retro looking and cheap looking. Aguilar does a good job of letting you know the head doesn't have a "modern" sound without it looking like an Altair computer kit.
    My greatest hope of this product, other than it actually being available along with other Warwick product, is that what we see in this video isn't the actual finished product or that it will be revised shortly.

8. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    I can live with the casing however I agree with you very much on the speaker out. There should be two, especially on an amp of this caliber. Not criticizing just pointing out a design issue that I would change. I am excited to actually be able to try one of these as I went around the whole class D amps and came back to the lead sled....haha.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Most speaker cabs have a parallel jack on them, so a second output on the amp head is completely unnecessary. Maybe if somebody happened to buy or DIY only cabs with no parallel jack, then I can see that individual wanting a head with two Speakon outs.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually what W is saying there is at least partly true. The best-known example is TC Electronic, who publish badly exaggerated wattage ratings based on what the amps "sound like", not on the actual measured wattage. Other amps have raised eyebrows of questioning, because they use a third-party power module that is known to be one amount of wattage, but then the amp maker says their amp is some other amount of wattage. However it's not so cut and dried-- check out Bass Gear Magazine's bench tests of amps-- some of these amps test exactly as claimed, and some test better! Point is though, W's basic claim is true, that it is common for the wattage claims to be at least partly marketing rather than fact.

11. swspiers

swspiers Gold Supporting Member

Maybe it's my age, but the look of that amp really appeals to me. It's a departure from the typical modern industrial design. Don't get me wrong- I see your point. But from my perspective, that's one great looking head.

12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I believe I understand your reference. To me, the appearance sort of looks like a classic HiFi component, rather than an amp head.

13. swspiers

swspiers Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. The feature set also seems classic hi-fi, with the CD input and headphone out on the front of the chassis.

Depending how real-world performance bears out (which I suspect will be stellar), this might be real practical in a studio environment, yet have enough umph for a decent-sized bar gig.

Can't wait for pricing and availability!

14. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    I agree wholeheartedly. I like the chassis and design

My comment about the jack is out of convenience, also there are cabs, some vintage that only have a single jack.....

15. KimGT99

KimGT99

In terms of optics I'm a bit in between.
    2 channels are a nice feature, but I think you could resolve this otherwise (2 or more saveable presets?). Still I believe there's need for this way, cause I don't think W will put an amp out with lacking market research.
    But I think that it's too bad to point the finger in the direction of manufacturers who cheated about their wattage.
    I'd prefer to point out my own qualities rather than the other way round.

16. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    If you open up most Class D amps, they use the ICE power module. We've see a 220 watt module in an amp labled at 900 watts, and a 110 watt module in an amp labled at 500 and 350. Its not an exageration...its true. Our power module is new and different, and its offers an honest, genuine 1000w at 4 ohms, and 500 watts at 8 ohms. I was surprised when I was shown the boards of some other amps in the market, and what the ratings of the ICE power modules is vs. what those amps are rated at.

We'll be debuting the amp this week at NAMM, come have a look...its really amazing!

17. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

What's the street price looking like?

18. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
  19. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Thanks! Quite a bit more then the competition though, I'll wait till I can play one to make any judgments.

20. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

More than what competition? Street on the LWA 1000 is several hundred USD less than the Markbass TTE 800 that's a very direct competitor.

21. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

My bad, did the math way wrong..... Hit a 2 instead of a one. Definitely in the right price bracket. No offense