1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Feb 18, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

So I went to guitar center and sam ash today, and when I went I tried out this nice warwick, and I loved it. I didn't see what kind it was (i think it looked like the rockbass or the corvetter), but I saw that it was around 1000 dollars. I loved how it played, especially for slap, and loved how it felt, but i need something a bit cheaper, around 600. Are the other warwicks just as good for slap? I wanted to know if they're worth looking into at lower prices, i didn't see any lower priced ones.
  2. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

Get a German warwick used.....keep an eye on the TB classifieds. !000 was either a german one or a really bad price on a Rockbass. The older Rockbass series were awful. The new Rockbass series that have the W on the headstock are much better....made in Korea. They are a compromise over the german models though.

The Corvette $$ is alleged to be good for slapping. I have one (but I don't slap!) Sorry.
  3. GM60466

GM60466

I have a Corvette Proline that's about 10years old. It gets better every day.
  4. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

My German Thumb is slap-happy. It's also jazz happy and rock happy. Very versatile basses but especially great slap-tone.
  5. miketallica315

miketallica315

I have a $$ and that sucker is a slap machine. Also, I got a used mint condition Warwick Corvette Standard Active 5 (German) for about $750. This is the better looking one with the black hardware. Great basses. I can't say enough about these basses. They are built to last a lifetime.
  6. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Warwicks just simply rule! And they don't have that implicit snob appeal!
  7. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I have a 2004 Warwick Thumb 6 string NT that absolutely KILLS! It sounds so crunchy and punchy! And it has the best pick sound I've ever heard on any bass.
  8. Dug2

Dug2

I have both a german made thumb and a korean corvette rb. I think they both r badass, all depends on yer pockets i guess
  9. lowendfriend

That is something that people don't seem to talk about much with basses. The $$ is truly built like a brick ****house. I dumped mine twice on stage and the only damage was needing a new set of strings. Didn't even scratch the body.
  10. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Do you have any experience with the less expensive ones? The $$ or rockbass?
  11. lowendfriend

12. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

I appreciate it, though I wasn't going to buy quite yet. Saving up a bit more. If I had the money right now, I would do it in a heartbeat! But sadly, that's not the case.
  13. Gabriel51

Gabriel51 Supporting Member

I have never held/played a Warwick bass. Based on some of the things I read here @ TB I feel like I may be missing something.
    I have owned several high end and about 30 mid priced basses, am I missing something?
  14. lowendfriend

Yes you are missing something. It has a unique sound and feel. Not surprisingly, not universally loved or valued in the same way by all.

I've got a Corvette $$ 5 string with an ovangkol/wenge neck and ash body. It's a 2006 and made in Germany so therefore it's got a real beefy neck that you usually either love or hate. It is such a solid and resonant bass and I really love the feel of the notes as I play...I always use the term "BOMP" to describe how a dug in notes feels as I play it.

The Thumb is perhaps more widely viewed as "the classic Warwick" but there are many models that can vy for that title, notably the Streamers, the Dolphins, and a great hollowbody model, the Starbass.

They all run on the heavy side, particularly the older ones with bubinga bodies and full wenge necks.

Jack Bruce, Lee Sklar, Bootsy Collins are sample endorsing artists.

Look for an opportunity to give a few models a try. You'll be glad to dispel the missing experience one way or another.
  15. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Disclosures:
    Social Media and Sales: www.creamcitymusic.com
    I have been a warwick player on and off for a number of years, I love almost every one of them I play. If you get the chance be sure to play one of their higher end german ones. The shop I work at just opened up as a Warwick dealer and on the first order i was sure to get the new Thumb Single cut :bassist: that is by far one of the best playing basses I have ever handled. I am a little partial to the Infinity and Streamers, having perviously owned a Streamer I may have to add an Infinity to mix things up.

The ONLY reason I currently do not own a Warwick is because I sold two of them to fund my double bass purchase and being in college I can't justify a new bass unless it is for a gig...
  16. Gabriel51

Thanks for that explanation. One thing is for sure I don't like beefy necks, I played 4 string from 1964 until 2004 and most of that was with a Jazz type neck and the only 5 string basses I like are the small neck ones and I have had about 15 of them.
    I think Warwick makes some small neck models but to be honest their line-up is confusing to me.
    I have been looking for one to try @ the local GC and others but no one has one?
  17. lowendfriend

The neck style changed in 2009 I believe to a lower (thinner) profile. That's something to keep in mind when trying the models.

I bought mine "new" at a GC in 2009, but it was a left over model from 2006 which was part of why it was half off. Look at the serial number on the back of the headstock. The last two digits are the year of mfg.

Warwick (and others like Lakland) don't make it easy! Look for used at a GC so you can go in and try.

Also keep in mind that Rockbass models are not made in Germany and although the new line made in Korea is far better, don't even bother with a Rock bass that does't have a W on the headstock.
  18. Gabriel51

OK, Thanks

What is the significance of the "W" on the head stock?
  19. The Hawk

The Hawk

I definitely would like to know as well, since I just had an offer accepted on eBay for a Rockbass Corvette double-buck. It has the W on the headstock, but says rockbass Horizontally, and Corvette $$ vertically on the truss rod cover.
  20. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Au contraire, said the guy with the limited edition, German-made FNA Jazzman. There is a LOT of snob appeal at the higher end of the product range.

The Korean-made pro line is indeed a worthy compromise, and there is no doubting that the QC in China has gotten a lot better, with Fender now putting its brand on stuff from there. The newer RockBasses are OK. If I simply had to have a beater 'wick for bar gigs, I would get one of those. As it is, Squiers are perfect in the beater role, and my 'wick only comes out for special occasions, and studio work.

To answer another question: The aforementioned awful first-generation Rock Basses did not have the W on the headstock, and had single-piece bridges. Avoid them.