1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick broadnecks; what have you seen?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by gscroggin, Jul 28, 2012.

1. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan and player, and have owned two Thumb BO broadneck 6's. Over the years I've seen a number of 5 and 6 Thumb broadnecks on the used market, but not much else. I've always wanted a Dolphin 5 or 6 broad, but only ever seen one used...a 5 on eBay that I still kick myself for not finding a way to purchase! The pics on Warwick's site of Dick Lovgren's Dolphin's are to die for.

I've never seen a Fortress or Doublebuck broad...what models have any of you Warwick fans seen, touched, or owned?
  2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    All Streamer Stage 1's in 5 and 6 string are Broadneck (20mm) as standard...so I've played quite a few of those, as well as the Thumb and Thumb SingleCut Broadnecks. Aside from those, the Streamer LX is ordered with the Broadneck option fairly often. I play 6'ers...so I love the wider spacing... as well as the Steve Bailey bass, which has an 18.5mm spacing. Dick Lövgren's Dolphin's are incredible, indeed!
  3. Ethereal Thorn

Ethereal Thorn

My next purchase will be a $$ corvette fretless broadneck 6er. If they made a fretless broadneck 35" scale 7-string $$ I'd sell my kidneys to obtain it.
  4. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Asst. Manager, Marketing/Social Media: GHS Strings
    Last I checked (which was about 2 years ago) the $$ is not offered in a broadneck, due to the pickups. Hopefully they have some of the MM pickups to allow it in a broadneck option.
  5. kasanovakarl

kasanovakarl

I have Thumb 5 BO with the broadneck. I love it, most people think it looks like a baseball bat.
  6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Ethereal Thorn,

We've made a Thumb 7-string for Jeoron Thesseling, 34" scale:

[​IMG]

The issue with the broadneck $$ would be the pickups...but it certainly would be amazing!
  7. gscroggin

I was wondering if the JPT model was broad...I recalled reading that it was. Beeeeautiful!

As for the MM pickups, I know Nordstrand makes them wide enough. Perhaps you could go the retrofit route (pun intended).
  8. Ethereal Thorn

Ethereal Thorn

That is a stunning bass but alas is way out of my price range the most I could swing selling all my non warwick bass gear would be $2,500-$3,000 I cant bring my self to sell my 5-string Fna jazzman or my fretless 6-string Corvette Std. I still would want a 35" scale for my low B string. I dig everything else about that beast tho.Maybe in 10 years after I save enough ill be able to afford my own Warwick custom ;)
  9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
  10. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Asst. Manager, Marketing/Social Media: GHS Strings
    Do they? I don't see ANY 6 string MM pickups on Carey's site. Custom order, perhaps? It would be cool to have a broadneck $$ and if you can have custom pups wound, it "might" be worth it.
  11. gscroggin

12. gscroggin

You're right, I actually thought better of my initial post after posting...:rollno: Here's the deal;

I have a MM5.2 pickup in the "Lakland - Wide" format on a 19+ mm spaced 5 string that I built. IMO the pickup would definitely fit the 20 mm Warwick's.

That said, we're talking about a 6 vs. a 5 here. Back when I ordered this from BestBassGear, the person I spoke with indicated that Nordstrand would likely be open to the idea of making a 6 string version of the pickup. That was several years ago so who really knows now. Sorry for any confusion on my part :D
  13. gscroggin

...so I'm guessing this thread I started also aligned the cosmos or something because I just landed this!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It popped up on eBay last week and what do you know, I just happened to be selling a ton of crap on eBay myself. Stayed up 'till 2 AM waiting to battle it out with other eBayers, but low and behold it was only me!

I've been wanting a 5 string Dolphin since I first saw a dude playing one on a late night show (Letterman or Arsenio?) back around 1990. Once I discovered I was a wide spacing guy, it's been a battle ever since to land a broadneck on the used market.

I forwarded off the auction pics to Warwick and they responded with the following info:

Bass: Dolphin Pro I 5 string
    Serial Number: C 024 91
    Year: 1991
    Month: March
    Number: 024
    Neck Wood: Wenge Wood with Azelia Strips
    Fingerboard: Wenge Wood with Dolphin Inlays, mother of pearl
    Frets: Bronze Warwick Frets
    Nut: Just a Nut Brass Version
    Neck construction: NeckThrough, hidden Neck construction
    Body: 3 pcs. Boire Wood, solid
    Surface: Oil Finish / BeeWax
    Pickups: 2 passive Bartolini Humbuckers
    Electronic: 2 Band electronic by MEC
    Hardware: Black Hardware by Warwick
    Made in Germany / 08258 Markneukirchen

I'm so excited to receive the bass, it's currently enroute. This is a life long dream! I'll post better pics once I receive it and get it all waxed up and shiny :hyper:
  14. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    That is absolutely beautiful gscroggin! Congratulations on acquiring something you've been thinking about for so long! Enjoy!
  15. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

I love those bartolini pickups.
  16. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

I always wanted a wenge fingerboard. How does that wenge neck feel. BTW congrats that is a sick bass.
  17. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

18. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Dolphin Droooool!!!!!!!!!
  19. gscroggin

20. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Cool! I just noticed you mentioned a Dolphin 6. I wonder if a Dolphin 6 is possible through the Warwick custom shop. I was under the impression a Dolphin 5 would be the maximum.