Warwick Corvette passive and active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 555, Jan 1, 2005.

1. 555

I've been looking at the 4-string Warwick vette's in swamp ash online lately (haven't had a chance to look at one in real life) i noticed that Warwick offers a passive version and a active version, my question is does the active one have active pickups OR does it have an active 2-band preamp? It says in the description:

Does the active vette have controls that are volume-bass-treble?

I am a little confused :confused:

Thanks for the replies in advance all!

2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

I think that means the active one will have the extra bass and treble controls whereas the passive one will not.

3. 555

I've been searching everywhere for pictures of the active one, all i found is just one bass with 3 knobs which i think is volume-volume-tone hence the passive version? Unless it's only the pickups that are active... :meh:

4. Luke73

Luke73

The passive version has master volume, blend and tone whilst the active version has a blend pot, volume, and a bass and treble pot.

The active version has a push pull on the volume pot for preamp bypass for passive mode also...

;)

You can check out the schematics of them all here:

http://www.warwickbass.com/schematics/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 555

Oh sweet! the active model can be used as a passive model too, that's cool.

I have £1,000 to spend, don't know if i should get a warwick corvette or a musicman stingray 3-EQ band :p

7. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

I can see why you are having trouble deciding between the two. I liked warwicks and musicman basses for a longggg time and i only semi-recently decided which i liked more. With the corvette and the stingray it basically came down to ergonomics for me. The warwick neck is a little chunkier and 'slower'. The finish on stingrays necks is very nice and comfortable. Also, the stingray balances better. Tonewise, both have great tone. I decided i liked the stingray more though.

Then, i even decided to go for a Sterling over a stingray becasue i prefered the skinnier neck, smaller body and different electronics. I suggest you look into Sterlings just a bit if you want something like a stingray but a little different.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

8. 555

I had a chance to play both sterlings and stingrays, i preferred the stingray more, the sterling neck was a tad too thin for me, didnt really enjoy it that much :meh: the stingray had a very nice growl and the neck was nicely waxed and fast. For me, i say the neck was in between a jazz and a precision bass, not too thin or chunky. Wanted to play a warwick but there wasnt any warwicks in the london guitar store i was in :( Hmmm but since you stated the warwick neck is chunkier and slower, i doubt i will like it more than the stingrays.

9. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Thats good that you got to play sterlings and stingray so you could choose which you liked more; that being a stingray. The finish on the neck definitely is very nice. Warwicks have a more open grained neck wood and the finish is a little stickier.

10. Puarija

Puarija Supporting Member

I've owned both an active and a passive Corvette.

The passive ones have three knobs: Volume, Pickup Blend, Tone.

My Passive '95:
    [​IMG]

The active ones have two regular knobs and one stacked knob: Volume, Pickup Blend, Bass/Treble

My '96 with Active EMGs (the EMG system wasn't Volume, Blend, Bass/Treble though, it was Volume, Volume, Tone like a Fender Jazz)
    [​IMG]

I wasn't a huge fan of the passive one, but an active Corvette is heavenly. The MEC systems hog batteries though!

I had that Corvette with EMGs and to this day it's still the best sounding bass I've ever heard. I should've never sold it...

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Passive: volume, blend, passive tone. Passive "Dynamic Correction" p-ups

Active: volume/active-passive switch, blend, bass-and-treeble pot, active p-ups

BTW sticky neck?!? YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO WAX THE OIL FINISH OF THE NECK!!! The oil-finished neck is quite fast and slippery, though it is a bit big and it gets very square-ish at the joint. There surely are shops in London that have Corvettes, definately go and try one.

12. dees

dees

I've owned an active Corvette (in swamp ash) for a while, and I really loved the sound. Unfortunately, it just doesn't played as smooth as my stingray, and really not comfortable while standing up.
    Like mentioned before, the neck wasn't really 'fast', and I'm a big fan of maple necks.
    So I sold the warwick, which I regret, but I needed the money and my Stingray stays my main bass

13. 555

Heh, if i do go for a warwick 'vette, my hand sure doesn't want to welcome any splinters :p

Puarija:

*drool* I love your passive 'vette '95, is that finish just natural oil finish? It kinda seems like burgundy red to me unless it's the light from the sun or you just rubbed wax on the bass?

What if the neck wood get's greasy or the colour starts fading? How are you meant to keep the exotic wood on the clean from gunk and grease? :meh:

Thanks for the help and reply all! Much appreciated :bassist:

14. Puarija

No splinters bro. No worries. :)

It was just a really red bubinga. I didn't wax it, and while that pic WAS taken outside, it looked that red inside too. It was definitely a beautiful bass. But I sold it...

I've been playing Warwicks for a while, including extensive gigging in a metal band where I got extremely sweaty and greasy every night. I never had any problems with any part of my basses getting cruddy. Like any other instrument, just wipe it off with a towel when you're done playing. As far as the color fading... the color of natural wood doesn't fade as far as I can tell. I mean, I wouldn't leave my basses out in the sun all day to find out, but I don't think it's an issue. :)

Taking care of the natural wood is not as big a deal as some might think. Personally, I've never waxed any of my Warwicks, and they never get dull looking or anything like that. They're made very well, so there are very few issues with any of them.

15. 555

Are you sure your not a Warwick spokesman? :p You sell the positive sides of the warwick 'vette so well :D My main issue (well was) against Warwick's are the natural finish because you need to take care of it more than a high gloss finish bass but i think i have really sold myself to a warwick now from reading your points. What are the negative issues about warwick corvette's? (if there are any) Has there ever been a corvette that has been finished in high gloos and not just natural oil and satin finish eg: the proline? (apart from the rockbass series)

16. Puarija

Unless someone's been hiding things from me, I'm not on their payroll. LoL

As far as the natural being harder to take care of than the gloss finishes, I think it's the oppposite. The solid color gloss finished basses I've had have the following issues:

1. Even the most innocent, tiny scratch shows up on a solid gloss finish.
    2. If you happen to get a small dent or something, the paint will chip, leaving a very ugly scar.
    3. Natural oils from your skin make a gloss finish (especially gloss black) hard to keep clean (you know how they get all swirly).

None of these issues exist when you're dealing with natural wood finishes. Scratches just blend into the woodgrain, dents don't chip, they just dent a little, and it's rarely noticeable, and the oils from your fingers and such don't show up against the erratic pattern of a woodgrain like they do on a solid color. These are problems that you will avoid with any natural woodgrain bass, not just a Warwick. :)

As far as Warwicks with solid gloss finishes - as far as I know you could probably order one that way, but as Warwick basses are known for their fine woods, people don't usually want to cover them up with a cheap looking solid color paint job. But to each his own. If that's what you like, they would most likely do it for you.

Negative aspects of a Warwick Corvette... hmm... some people here on TalkBass have mentioned not feeling comfortable with the neck profiles and that the necks feel really fat. From my experience though, I thought the necks of the 2 4-string Corvettes I had were the nicest necks I've ever played, and they were both very slim and comfortable. Like I mentioned before, I didn't really like the passive 'vette I had as much as the active one, but that's just because I like being able to shape my tone on my bass, instead of on my amp. A couple seconds spent tweaking my amp would have given me the tone I wanted out of the passive 'vette. I don't understand what people are talking about when they say either that the Corvette is hard to play sitting down or that it's hard to play standing up. I thought it was a pleasure to play sitting down, and standing up it's one of the best-balanced basses I've ever used. My band Dogwood Tree only gets to practice once a week, so we typically have about an 8 or 9 hour practice. The Corvettes were very comfortable to play throughout those marathon sessions.

I would've never sold my 96 Corvette with EMGs, but:

I bought it for a steal of $325 because "it didn't work". Actually, it just needed a new battery! Anyway, after playing it for several months as my main bass, I was in love with it and had no intentions of selling it, but to appease my fiance who complained about me having too much stuff, I threw it on eBay for kicks with a Buy It Now of $725 figuring it would never sell for that much. Oops... it did!

Then I had a chance to buy the 95 on eBay for a Buy It Now of $500, so I grabbed it. I only sold it because I didn't like the passive pickups much. I should've just put EMGs in it, but oh well. I turned around and sold it after about a month for $625.

Otherwise, I would still have them, and I regret selling both of them now. If you have an opportunity to pick one up in the $500 to $600 range, I definitely recommend it. If you don't like it for some reason, you can certainly get your money back out of it. That's another thing about Warwicks... when you buy a used one (as long as you don't pay through the roof) you can always get your money back out of it. I've never lost money on a Warwick.

Aside from the 'Vettes, I had a Streamer Standard that I either paid $350 or $400 for (can't remember) and sold it for $500 to help pay for the '94 Thumb Bolt-On 5 that I got for $665 and sold for $950 which I used to buy my Streamer LX 5 for $800. And while I don't plan to sell the LX any time soon, I don't doubt that I could get $950 or more out of it. Just do a little research and keep an eye out for a good buy, and you can't go wrong with a Warwick.

17. 555

Right, that's it, Warwick 'Vette it is!

Thanks for all you help and time Puarija!:D

Props to you!

18. Puarija

Hey man, good gear is like religion... when you find it, you wanna convert everyone you can! :)

I added you to my buddy list. Keep in touch and let me know what you get and how you like it. :)

19. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Puarija, I agree with your points on the Corvette standard. I purchased one new in 1997 and played it for about 6-7 years until I sold it for a Streamer LX 5 string. I thought the Corvette standard balanced better than any other bass and the neck was very comfortable, not slow at all. Heavy, well yes, but with the straps they're making these days.....

I put EMGs in mine as well with the EMG 3-band EQ. Although the EMGs sounded great, I ended up liking the MEC pickups better. In fact, I got great tone with the passive MECs run through an Aguilar outboard preamp, and also got great results with amp EQing to taste. I do regret selling the bass as well since it was with me for so long, but my Streamer LX sounds awesome.

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Well, my 6er is heavy and the neck is big.. but hey, it's a 6er, the neck size is just a bit bigger at the nut than others. The body joint, however, is a bit square-ish on all Ws.
    I like the tone but I1m still thinking of swapping out the electronics and p-ups.
    I like my W. I don't say they are the best basses on the world, but they can accomplish a goal quite well. Also, they were the cheapest 6ers that could be had in lefty around here... :ninja:

21. Langueta

Langueta Guest

which one is more expensive active or passive warwick