Warwick Corvette Rockbass $$ - advice, please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nibbos, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Nibbos

Nibbos

Hi,

a chap at work is selling his Warwick Corvette Rockbass $$ (4-string), in black. He says he got it new about 2-3 years ago (2011-ish).

A little Googling reveals a whole host of potential matches on what it actually is, or might be worth.

It has 2 large pickups - described as 'dual MEC humbuckers' on the Andy Irvine Promo Youtube thingy -

Also 3 'knobs' and a battery compartment on the rear.

I have no real idea of its current value since there appear to be a wide range of similarly-specced basses on ebay going for an equally wide range of prices.

Can anyone advise or comment on this particular bass, please?

Any information as to its quality, build, reputation etc. and/or suggestions as to how I can judge its current condition would be appreciated.

I don't want to diddle the guy out of a quality bass at a knock-down price, but neither do I want to shell out cash for something that's actually a bit of a lemon!

He is asking £190 for it - which includes a hard case as well. It is a little tatty (one knob missing, high action, dead strings).

Many thanks in advance.

Nibbos

2. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

I would jump all over that offer for that price.

I tried one at the store and loved it. The fact that its passive and it has a series/parallel switch on each pickup volume control makes it for a very versatile bass

The fact that you can go from jazz bass single coil to beefy humbucker sound is a huge plus.

In canada they cost 415 british pounds new so youre getting a killer deal.

Factor in new strings, a new knob and a setup and you got yourself a well built bass.

3. MrTaff

MrTaff

+1 assuming it's the newer model with the W on the headstock.

If only they were that cheap here, UK price is closer to £650 :(

4. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

Wow, that is pricy, the actually price is $769 CDN. Ive been eyeying the 5 string model for a while and you have to give it to Warwick for demoing all of the their products, including their rockbass line.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B Major

B Major

So I dunno what that equates to in USD, but I just got a 2012 corvette standard 4 string yesterday. It's brand new and I payed $1,000 (marked down from its original $1500) from a boutique here in Mass. I'd imagine that the $$ corvette (even if used and not in mint condition) would fetch around that much, give or take a few hunred bucks... What's everyone think? Am I way off here??

7. B Major

B Major

Is it the German or Korean made model???

8. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    I'd pick that up in a second, assuming the things you listed are the ONLY things wrong with it, and it's a W headstock model. That's a great deal. If it says Rockbass on the headstock instead of a W, I'd probably skip it though, but the model you are talking about should have the W.

9. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

If its rockbass from 2-3 years, they are made in China.

10. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

£190 is an excellent price.

Somebody might give me some stick here but my main player is an older Rockbass Streamer (the 'pre-w' model) and it's an excellent bass. I appreciate that I may have managed to get a good one at a rock-bottom price (NOS) but I would pay £190 for something similar again in a heartbeat.

If it's one of the newer 'W' models, then that's even better and I would be running over there right now to get it.

11. awilkie84

awilkie84

£190 o_O

Geeze! I'll pay that & pay for the shipping to me. lol I could make a killing on the used market even with import fees. lol

Also, the easiest way to tell the newer ones from the old ones is the bridge. The old rock bass have a High mass fender style 1 piece bridge.

The newer ones have a bridge that is similar to the german warwicks. 2 piece.

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

op, sounds right for a double buck showing signs of use. don't be misled though--it's not the german warwick form

13. Nibbos

Nibbos

Thanks for all comments thus far.
    Sounding like an opportunity to acquire a potentially decent bass at a good price.
    I'm not sure of its provenance - maybe some pictures would help... if I could just work out how to post them!
    There's a 'W' on the headstock and the plastic truss nut cover has 'Rockbass Corvette $$' embossed in gold on it.
    The pickups are big MEC things with 2 rows of 4 big shiny silver dots on each!
    At the end of the day I'm looking for something that won't give me an excuse not to get better on. If the bass is half-decent then my own ability becomes the limiting factor...
    I'm not looking to sell on at a quick profit - I just want to get a decent bass and get on with playing.
    Now, I've got some pictures on Flikr but can't seem to make the links work in this post...
    Isn't there supposed to be some easy way of attaching images to posts?

[​IMG]
    Nibbos

14. Nibbos

Nibbos

There's a 'W' on the headstock and the plastic truss nut cover has 'Rockbass Corvette $$' embossed in gold on it.
    The pickups are big MEC things with 2 rows of 4 big shiny silver dots on each!

At the end of the day I'm looking for something that won't give me an excuse not to get better on. If the bass is half-decent then my own ability becomes the limiting factor...
    I'm not looking to sell on at a quick profit - I just want to get a decent bass and get on with playing.
    Now, I've got some pictures on Flikr but can't seem to make the links work in this post...
    Isn't there supposed to be some easy way of attaching images to posts?

15. chuck norriss

on an image's page (by itself) go to "more ways to share" at bottom, grab html code, copy paste

16. Nibbos

Nibbos

That's what I did for the previous post. All I got was the little image placeholder...

17. MrTaff

MrTaff

18. chuck norriss

19. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

I just purchased a Rockbass Fortress 5 in Burgundy. This is either a 2013 or 2014 model. I should receive it maybe next week. I got it brand new still sealed in the box for a steal!

Shaun

20. Tbone76

Tbone76

I just purchased a Rockbass $$ last week and I love it. Cost was $769 new. The usable tones that the pup arrangement and electronics package provide are awesome, and the build quality is rock solid. Mine is surprisingly heavy, but the weight doesn't bother me because the bass hangs well on a strap and doesn't neck dive. The neck pocket has no noticeable gap between the bolt on neck and the body. The 3-D bridge adjusts a little differently than a standard bridge, but Warwick has a fairly simple tutorial on Youtube. The Just-a-Nut III allows you to adjust the action at the nut without filing it down. The pup locations make me have to adjust my slap technique a little bit, because there is not a lot of room between the neck pup and the end of the fretboard. The slap sound, however, is great. The one you are looking at seems like a great price, assuming there aren't any major defects. Good luck!.

21. Nibbos

Nibbos

Thanks again for all comments.

All I need know is a foolproof plan to smuggle it in the front door and past the wife!

Wish me luck...

Nibbos