warwick corvette standard bubinga 5 vs corvette $$ 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by longshadow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. longshadow

longshadow

I am between these two basses.I found them secondhand around 800 euros each.
    I tried the bubinga version and i like it a lot , especially the clunky neck.Its a 2008 model.
    The double buck its also a 2008 model, so i think the neck will be fat also..i like fat necks.Is is a limited version with zebrano top.Only 34 basses were made.But it will be a blind buy, i cant try it first.

Any help is always welcome.

thanks

2. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Media:
    I own an '08 $$ and I like it better than the standard. I bought it in a blind buy as well. IMO, When you put both pups of the $$ in single could, it can achieve the same sound that the standard has. So that gives you the nice sound of the standard plus the other range of sounds with the series and parallel options.

3. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

I'd go with the double buck, based on the fact that if there was only 34 made then it's probably worth more than 800 quid and you could always make profit if you sold it

4. jeremy_p

jeremy_p

The $$ for sure.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

$$ sounds like mud to me (even with coil tapping).

Are you a J kinda guy? Or do you want very thick (IMO muddy tone) ?

7. longshadow

longshadow

Modern Growl, thanks, this is the reason i am posting this.I dont know if the $$ can emulate the standard corvette tone
    I like clarity, i dont want mud, but i like big tone also.
    I find jazz bass tone a little fragile for my taste.
    My g&l l2000 has big tone and clarity together.I dont find her tone mud at all.

However, the corvette bubinga standard i tried had more balls than a jazz bass, and thats the reason i liked it.

8. Bunnfactor

Bunnfactor

I have a 2012 Warwick Corvette NT Swamp Ash $$ 5-string. I love the bass but one thing I found annoying is that there is clanging noise because I play so hard, no matter how high I raise the action. I find it more prevalent with the $$ pups. I say this not to dissuade your decision, but a simple warning if you happen to play hard, like I do.

9. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

Go with what you know you like then.

10. longshadow

longshadow

thanks Bunnfactor, i actually play with soft attack, i dont hit the strings and my action is pretty low

11. TechJunky

TechJunky Supporting Member

I would say go for the Standard Bubinga. I've had a couple of those and also a Corvette $$5 before, and the Standards with bubinga bodies had that traditional warwick growl and sound more than the $$ did. I loved the tone variety and options the $$ provided, but I just never found that traditional Warwick tone I wanted, so I got rid of it. Only reason I got ride of my Corvette Standards were basically because I wanted other Warwick models (or other manufacturers), but I always loved the sound they put out.