1. Welcome to the premier online bass player community and classifieds!

Register a free account to remove in-screen ads.

Warwick corvette standard used 450$??? Modded??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LittleBassChops, Mar 15, 2014.

1. At my local music store there is a used warwick standard corvette fretless for only 450$. The previous owner decided for some reason to replace the tuners??

The bass sounds great and it will be my first fretless. But i just have 1 question..

Could the change of tuners have done some irreperable damage (to the tone) that i am unaware of? Im so scared of buying this thing once and for all and it not be able to be restored completely..

Advise please!!!
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha that's a new one.

No. There is no change to the tone because of different tuners.
  3. jebersole

May 20, 2005
    Not familiar with that bass, but maybe previous owner was trying to address some neck dive. If so, some might consider that an upgrade; unless they put Fender style tuners on it! :)
  4. Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    That's a very good price for a used Germang Corvette Standard.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. LagBox

Mar 3, 2013
    If it sounds good now, then why worry?

I don't think the tonal difference would be in any way audible.
  7. My German Corvette has zero neck dive. Wonder what the original owner was trying to accomplish?
  8. Hey folks just updating!!

I have the bass on reserve and have been playing it almost daily. I am totally planning on replacing the tuners as soon ad possible. Most likely with black hardware tuners.gunna try to upload pics soon
  9. Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Warwick tuners sorta have a bad reputation for falling apart. I definitely wouldn't be in a hurry to buy another set of Warwicks to put on there.

That may be why they were swapped out.

Here's one thread from the Warwick forum about tuners: http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/14089-Broke-another-tuner-today?

Anyway, all the best, and enjoy the bass!

10. Just to update everyone, i brought the bass home and am generally satisfied. My only issues are that a washer under the gstring tuner has come loose causing a metallic buzzing noise sometimes when i play on the g string. Not the end of the world...

At the same time i see that the graphite nut will need changing within the year (or less) and i hear good things about the brass Just-a-nut3. Might just check it out.

As for the tuners, they are generally a bad fit and the definitly need to go. But dammit am i in love with my new girl <3
  11. Perhaps my issue with the nut can just be fixed by very slightly raising the action on the nut a tad higher, wish me luck folks.