Warwick corvette $$ tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coolmo, Mar 21, 2014.

1. coolmo

coolmo

Hi,

I hope somebody can advise as to whether I have an issue or not. I have a Warwick corvette $$ (2012), I love the bass but I've noticed that my bass sounds nothing like other Warwicks, $$ or otherwise, it seems to lack the brightness in the tone, I don't know if its a setup problem, a fault or wha?, but this brigthness that Warwicks usually have is the main reason that I bought it. I ordered it online from a well known and reputable company so I never got to play it before buying, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What strings are on it? How close are the pickups to the strings?
  3. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

get new strings and a set-up and then report back
  4. coolmo

coolmo

I have d'addario strings, they are approx. 1 cm from the pickups. I'll get a professional setup and new strings and see if this makes a difference.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

German Warwick or Rockbass model?

Rockbass model is passive only and isn't quite as versatile as the German version. For example, they can't be tapped to be single coil pickups like the German model.

The Rockbass version neck pickup will sound a lot more like a P Bass but a bit more aggressive, which is great if that's what you're looking for. But if you want brightness or an upper mid growl, you may want to look at Streamers or Thumbs instead.

IMO, the bridge pickup on $$'s are too close to the neck pickup... They should be a lot closer to the bridge to give more brightness and tonal differences from the neck pickup. That's just my experience, but I've only played the Rockbass version, but the German's pickup is in the same position.
  7. elBandito

elBandito

I used to own a 2008 double buck/german. I didn't think it sounded too warwick'y either. Thought it was all in my head tho.
  8. coolmo

coolmo

I've just been on youtube looking at more Warwicks, I'm thinking that maybe there is no issue here, the tone of my bass sounds just like the Warwick streamer $$, , maybe I'll have to go the pedal route for the crispier tones. I must add though that whenever I've gigged with this bass I get a lot of compliments on the tone of the bass, maybe I'm just being too picky.

Thanks anyway guys.
  9. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

The Streamer $$ will have the sound similar to your Corvette $$, as the pickups and their locations are the same.

I should have been more specific. You should be comparing it to the tones of a Streamer LX or Streamer Stage I or Stage II. Those should have pickups closer the the bridge and will give more of that signature Warwick growl. Or look at a Thumb, which is the growliest 'Wick of them all.