1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick dilemma ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel, Nov 17, 2012.

1. joel

joel

I bought a brand new Streamer Stage 2 5 string 10 years ago. It's a fantastic bass. No complaints. but now i really want a 4 string. I have my sites on a mint 92 thumb nt and its local which is awesome! I know it's all preference but would I be nuts to give up my streamer for a bass that's 20 years old? This seems to be a very hard decision for me.
    ... I would prefer to have both but my finances won't let me!
  2. joevcool

joevcool

Joel, if I were you I would sell your Stage 2 5 string and buy a Stage 2 4 string instead,if you want a 4.The Stage 2's in my opinion are the best thing Warwick has ever done.Just my .02.
  3. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Id say the Stage II should be worth slightly more than the thumb...

Those older warwicks are some of the nicest around
  4. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

There is nothing inherently wrong with an older bass, in fact many knowledgable 'Wick lovers feel the older instruments are considerably better than the newer ones. The Thumb NT is an awesome instrument, just beautiful, but it is definitely not for everyone. The ergonomics are pretty different than most other instruments. Some people love them, others hate them.
    So; by all means try the Thumb out first, make sure you like it as well or better than the Streamer, but I wouldn't worry for a second about the age. That assumes that the Thumb was treated well and isn't all beat up, truss rod and electronics work, neck is good- all the standard stuff.
  5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

So why exactly are older Warwick instruments better than the new ones? In what way? Just curious!
  6. joel

joel

I've been looking a lot and I have only seen one streamer stage 2 for sale. Is there a reason?
  7. joel

joel

I've heard there hand made and the necks are made of wenge instead of the ovankol
  8. Dejablue

Dejablue

Let me say that choosing from one Warwick to another is a good dilemma to have, and pretty much can't lose.
    At least in my opinion.

Here's my two cents...

Firstly, I just bought a 93 Thumb BO a few days ago.
    Let me tell you it is a special instrument. It's also my third Warwick. I still have my 04 Corvette, but owned and sold a Streamer a while ago.

I really love my Corvette Standard.
    Passive, Bubinga with Ovankol neck, Wenge fb.
    It has what I would describe as a U shaped neck.

But the Thumb seriously has another gear or two.
    It's Ovankol with an all Wenge C shaped neck.
    The neck is so much slimmer and faster
    It has more growl than a nervous junk yard dog.
    It must weigh at least a pound less than the Vette.

To be fair, I have not played a new Thumb bass.
    I do know that they are heavier than the older ones.

If you're able to play a Thumb, I would recommend it.
    If it's not possible, then at least know that they are an awesome instrument.

Additionally, I also went the 5 string route, but reverted back to 4s.
  9. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

What year is your stage2?
  10. joel

joel

It's a 2002
  11. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

isn't all older gear just better??
  12. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Go for the old Thumb, just do it. You will NOT regret it. :)
  13. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Joel, I own both basses well both 5 stringers but they are so different is every way. I would not give up a bass you love and works for you and you have no complaints with. I have been through so many basses getting ones I love and feel at home with and are “keepers” If there is any way to keep what you already have and know (and is paid off) do so even if it means waiting. You might find yourself regretting it and missing the Streamer. I play my Streamer Stage 2 90% of the time it is my main workhorse and best most versatile and all around great bass that just woks for almost anything.

The Thumb basses any of them be it bolt on or neck through 4, 5 even 6 string are special but temperamental instruments with a stand out but different tone. I would never buy a Thumb without spending some quality time with it anyway even if money wasn’t an issue. They are all so different and balance differently some with hardly any neck dive and some that are dividing rods pointing to the ground looking for water. Those issues can mostly be remedied but it would mean more time money and effort spent. I have a fretless Thumb and a fretted and love them but if I had to give up one of my 8 Warwicks it would be my Thumb fretted. Not saying don’t do it but I would strongly suggest waiting until you can swing both. The Thumb will be an excellent complement to your Streamer but you will find yourself missing the Streamer I promise you.

Old Thumb VS New just different not better or worse. New Warwicks being made today are some of the best basses on the planet there has been leaps and bounds in development in terms of fretting and finishing and MEC has improved their pickups and electronics as well. I know the woods are different my Thumb fretted is a 95 and my fretless a 94. The older more handmade feel as boutique as any bass I have ever held in my hands just amazing instruments and the woods in the neck runners are wenge and Ovankol new is Ovankol and thin Ekanga stripes. The older part wenge neck like I have tend to be a little thinner and way more mid focused. New Thumbs in general are more open and not such a mid-bump overall due to woods. Some of the first Thumb neck through only had active 2 band preamps because of the mids already so present in the tone. I had gone over all this info with Tyler at the Warwick Custom Shop in NYC when I was going to have him work on one of my basses and I asked him personally about the differences in the new verses old. Just think long and hard before selling your Streamer they don’t come up for sale too often either…Dude how could you give up the Ying Yangs?
  14. joel

joel

Haha I really don't want to make a sacrifice for the thumb. My wife runs a hard bargain about why I should only own one bass. Maybe one of you guy/gals can talk some sense into her!!?
  15. joel

joel

But I find I do find myself playing "4" string on a 5 string bass. ...
  16. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

But you can't play a 5 on a 4..:)

I buy mostly used and for that most of the time if I need to I can sell one for what I paid or maybe a few bucks more. Not really a great money making investment but if I need some money I can always move one. I have buddies that spend all kinds of money on stuff that just goes up in smoke. It brings me great joy and I play out and make a few bucks..My wife left me alone after I bought her a piano. Hey why not a 4 string Streamer?
  17. joel

joel

Just picked the thumb last night! Sounds great and I'm lovin the wenge neck! It's going to take sometime getting used to playing it standing up.
  18. gleneg61

gleneg61

So did you keep the streamer 5? I agree you can play 4 on a 5 but not the other way round. In fact, 5s are played more tastefully if thought of as 4s with the occasional b string foray, not hammering on it all night. My 2c anyway. Love both my thumb 5s so hope you enjoy your newey n still have your oldy.
  19. joel

joel

I still have the streamer 5. It's forsale on kijiji right now. I hope it doesn't sell!
    I play five exactly as you mentioned. Nice to have options. Kinda wierd playing a four now. Those strings are so far apart!