Warwick Electronics Makeover

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by melodiaopus, Feb 21, 2013.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

I am looking to give me Warwick Thumb Bolt on a make over. But I am not very familiar with the types of preamps there are that will fit into my Thumb 4 strings. I was thinking about going with a Sadowsky Pre, Mike Pope, Aguilar. With some Delano pickups or possibly something different. I'm just not getting the tone out of my bass that I want. I have had it for over 10 years and just can't seem to hit the sweet spot.

Help.
  2. tubehead2

tubehead2

Delano is a good choice. Anyway, you should check the size of the pickups in your warwick carefully before ordering.
  3. melodiaopus

Thanks for the input. I will have call Delano to see if they are familiar with the size of the warwick J-pickups.
  4. brotherbassj

brotherbassj Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    Delano will work. I like the aguilar obp-3 in warwicks, especially a thumb. i have a riend that has used delano and that new filter preamp? acg i think is what its called?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tubehead2

tubehead2

They knows. I just order a set for my WW stage 2. ^^
  7. melodiaopus

I have heard a lot of great things about putting in an Aguilar OBP-3. Is the filter preamp ACG by Delano?
  8. melodiaopus

What pickups did you go with? Do the Stage 2 Warwicks have J's in them or are they soapbars?
  9. tubehead2

tubehead2

I have a pair of JC5 HE in my Stage 2 and they are J style pickup.
  10. dave2

dave2

I recently learned that if you change the pickups from the active MEC pickups installed in a Warwick to passive pickups you will have to change the pots too. The only active pickups I've been able to locate easily for my Thumb 5 are active EMG Js. I was told on the Warwick forum that the EMGs will sound nearly identical to the MECs already installed in the bass. So I may not bother with the EMGs.

Soon I am going to install a 3 band preamp first in my Thumb 5. I'm unsure of which one though.... Delano? Nordstrand? there are so many choices. Then maybe pickups... which ones ? so many choices lol

BTW, the Delano pickups (one J and one MM) and the Delano preamp in my fretless Warwick FNA 5 string sound perfect!

Good luck.
  11. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

12. melodiaopus

I think I'm going to get a Mike Pope Flexcore preamp installed with some Delano pickups.
  13. tubehead2

tubehead2

Please post the review. I really would like to know the result of that ^^
  14. matante

matante

I think you'd be smart to make one change at a time. Either the preamp or the pickups, but not both. That way you can really judge the differences each component makes. If you change both and aren't happy with the sound, you won't know if the problem is the pickups or the preamp, or both.
  15. dave2

dave2

+1 for matante's idea. That is why I thought I would start with a preamp. But which one?

Dave
  16. melodiaopus

I think thats a great idea. Any recommendations on which active Delano pickups to try out on my Warwick? I like modern, not vintage tone. Fat, crisp, sparkle highs, and with piano mids.
  17. tubehead2

tubehead2

From what I know all delano pickups are passive.

If your thumb are J/J pickups style, you only have 2 choice for modern tone, JC4 HE/M2 and JMVC 4/FE.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/jc-4-series-pickups.htm

I think JMVC 4/FE matched what u are asking for. ^^

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/j-pickups-discussion-comparisons-91384/index44.html#post13622161

http://forum.warwick.de/showthread....ith-Delano-JMVC-4-fe-m2-pups?highlight=delano
  18. matante

matante

I think only a couple of companies make active pickups: EMG, Seymour Duncan, and MEC.

If you don't like the tone you have why not try passive? Your pickups don't need to be active to get a modern tone.
  19. brotherbassj

brotherbassj Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I am familiar with the Aguilar OBP-3 which sounds outstanding in the warwicks I had it in.

I have heard GREAT things about the ACG filter preamp and the Pope flexcores.......the ACG preamp apparently takes some fiddling with as it works a little differently on how it shapes tones........I personally would try the ACG, as its different and not such a "safe and easy" choice, meaning it works differently so is outside of my personal comfort zone............:D
  20. melodiaopus

Since the Flexcore is an active 18volt preamp, would I not be able to get this preamp? Plus with passive pickups, don't I lose a lot of volume using them?
  21. Spfairchild

Spfairchild Supporting Member

Hey, in case you're interested, I made a Warwick preamp comparison video a little while back, comparing between the OBP-3 and the stock MEC III:

If you have specific questions after watching that, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.