Warwick faulty electronics - Best plan?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lobomov, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov

Ok .. So I bought this 1998 Warwick Fortress Masterman 5-Strings bass with a NEC Twin J active pickup last week.

What can I say, I got some serious GAS for a 5 stringed bass, not many where for sale, I just went out and bought the one that wasn't either low budget or high budget. My first bass ever and I have no experience with active electronics. All my guitar are of the simple passive breed.

There is something that is not quite right. While it works most of the time, there are two things that are not quite right.

1. There is a push/pull function on the volume knop, that doesn't do anything, it seems.

2. Sometimes the signal fades, tho it is sporadic and I can't recreate it.

So I'm suspecting that the electronics have seen better days. Question is what should I do.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

The push/pull is probably a bypass. Max out the EQ controls, play the bass, then pull the knob up and you should hear a dramatic difference.

Does the signal fade, or cut out all together? Have you installed a new battery and tried a new cable? Could also be the barrel jack, those need to be replaced after a few years of use usually.

Those are wonderful basses, by the way. The third bass I ever bought was a 4 string Fortress Masterman back in the 90's!
  3. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Push pull is a active/passive switch. It bypasses the eq knobs but volume and balance will still work

The cutting out could be battery or the input jack as mentioned above^
  4. Lobomov

Lobomov

Barrel jack?

That might very well be ... actually that was my first instinct, but unlike when having problems with my guitars, I couldn't make it react by wiggling the cable, so I though it had to be something else.

But with regards to the push/pull .. Nothing happens when I push pull, no matter the EQ settings. But actually when I look in the users manual, there is no mention of a push/pull function and looking at the wiring, I find it hard to see, what Its supposed to do. There is one cable from each preamp and one cable to the jack from the volume knop, so ... I dunno?

But yes .. the bass itself is indeed absolutely wonderul. The balance is very good and the neck feels absolutely gorgeous! :)
  5. Lobomov

Lobomov

If that is the case, it is indeed broken :(
    Battery is brand new, so unless there a problem with the cables running from it that should be fine. Cable is also fine, but barrel jack could be the sinner .. hopefully it is the sinner :)