Warwick FNA 5 with muddy lows, is this just the characteristic of the bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by M_hubbert, Jan 11, 2014.

1. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

So I have a 98 FNA that I just replaced the basslines stock pickup with a Bart. I like the direction I'm going in but haven't quite made it. This pu tamed a lot of the harshness I was getting but the lows/low mids are still too muddy.

Is this just the way these basses sound? I like the bark it's offers but want to get a more rounded tone as well.

I was given this bass and won't be parting with so I want to make it work as well as I can for me. The low end is just so loose sounding. I have a jazz with an east pre and love the low end I get (tight and clear). I want something similar to that from this since it's a 5 and I want to utilize it more.

It has the Duncan pre with MEC pots.

I want to get another on board with sweepable mids to dial in a better sound. I've used the graphic eq on an amp to smooth it out in prac but don't have the option live. Though in the studio I like how the bass sits in the mix but live (with in ears) I've not been happy with it. It has no punch and power, sounds weak some times, like my jazz.

Would I be wasting money getting another pre to combat something that isn't going away is what I'm asking. Thanks
  2. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

3. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

One last try folks... Am I just missing something obvious?
  4. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Too much preamp tomfoolery. The music man pickup at the bridge takes away focus if you ask me, and with the odd assortment of pots, pre and new pickups it makes it more confusing. I'd suggest selling the bass and getting a thumb or infinity, those have punch for days and you can roll off the high end to tame some of the honk and zing they tend to have.

I've owned many Warwick's, and that's the path I took after having the same problem you describe. Pickups and pre does less for the overall sound than people think, but the snake oil keeps the accessorie market churning.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M_hubbert

M_hubbert

I figured it was just the way the bass was. Just wondering if anyone else encountered the same issue.
  7. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

I owned an FNA Jazzman 4 string for about 10 years and was just never happy with it. The stock pickups in mine were actually MEC which I tried replacing with Duncans to give it some more sizzle but despite anything I did with it, it always sounded kind of dull. I absolutely love almost all of the other Warwick models I've played but my FNA just never had that open, unbridled resonant sound that I've always associated with Warwick. Not sure if it's the FNA itself of if my particular model was just a dud.

Having been in your shoes, I would advise you sell it and move on. As someone else pointed out, a Thumb or a Dolphin or a Streamer with jazz or the MEC twin jazz pickups sound killer and have that open tone which is likely what you're looking for with the FNA.