1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick FNA Jazzman 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 559randyc, Dec 5, 2013.

1. 559randyc

559randyc

Hello!

I want to buy some new pickups for my Warwick. I have been doing some research and have came down to bartolinis with an aguilar pre-amp; but i am not sure if this a good idea.
    I'm looking to get the 59J1-L for the neck and the MM5C for the bridge with an aguilar pre-amp. Will these fit into the pickup slots? and are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
  2. Reptileroundabo

Reptileroundabo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist for Spector basses
    I love the stock electronics in my jazzman. Although I had full Bart electronics in a thumb I had once. Sounds big. The Bart pre is really nice in these wicks.
  3. 559randyc

559randyc

To me it sounds a little too "nazaly." Im wondering if changing the electronics would give it a better sound.
  4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Is it currently active or passive?
  5. 559randyc

559randyc

It is active.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

If I were to switch those electronics, I would definitely go Bart pickups and pre. I love Aguilar pre's, but I've changed over to Bart pre's mainly because they have an output gain adjustment and Aggies do not.
  7. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

As someone who previously owned a corvette FNA i definitely would recommend you swap the electronics if you plan to keep it for years to come. The pickup polls on mine eventually rusted. I got mine when they first came out around 2001 or so but yeah that was the main complaint i got on eBay from the guy i sold the bass to. The onboard pre wasn't terrible. A little noisy when any eq tweaking was done. I would say more noisy than high end Bart or aggie. I had issues at several venues and one studio with grounding noise with mine also which might have been fixed if i swapped the electronics
  8. 559randyc

559randyc

Is there any other big difference between the two?
    I've read that the Aguilars are clearer than the barts.
  9. 559randyc

559randyc

This is another reason why I am wanting to swap out the electronics. The current pickups have started rusting and are noisy.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

The only thing I really noticed is that the Bart has more useable controls. The Aguilar has so much EQ boost that you really can't go far with the controls, a little goes a long way.
  11. 559randyc

559randyc

Thanks for your help! I'll probably go with all Bart electronics!:bassist:
  12. Warwick Warrior

Warwick Warrior

Just wondering if you went ahead and installed the Bart pickups and pre. Any feedback? I've got some Bartolini 59J1's on order for my Carvin B5 fretless in hopes of improving it's less-than stellar sound. Maybe I'll swap out the pre as well, depending on your experience.
  13. 559randyc

559randyc

I only installed the preamp. I might install the pups at a later time. But the preamp sounds GREAT! It has great bass. I never turn it past halfways. The Mid is nice and clear. And the treble is not too sharp, it is just perfect. My bass had to have lots of modifications to work with this pre amp but it was very well worth it. I had it installed as an 18v. I now have individual volumes for each pickup instead if a blend. Treble, Mids push pull for Mid frequency selection, Bass and two toggle switches. One for passive/active and the other for 3-Way Coil Switching (Parallel/Series/Single Coil).
  14. Warwick Warrior

Warwick Warrior

Wow .... OK, now I'm envious. :) My Bart 59J1's are supposed to arrive today. I'll let you know what - if any - improvement they make. If it's still not up to snuff, I'll consider upgrading the preamp as well. Thanks for your input.
  15. Warwick Warrior

Warwick Warrior

By the way, what is the Model number of the preamp you installed? Price? (If you can remember, off the top of your head.)
  16. 559randyc

559randyc

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

My preamp is the Aguilar OBP-3TK. It was 150 off the Guitar Center site.