1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warwick fretboard issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by marcinski, Jan 1, 2013.

1. marcinski

marcinski

Hi all
    I just picked up in mint condition 2001 warwick corvette standard 5 string with no setup at all
    when i took it home and started to do setup adujst truss rod, nut, bridge, and then i noticed a problem when
    i look on neck on low side B string my neck is bowed and when i look on high G string neck is straight so now I don't have enough know-how to get that fixed.
    So all of you set up profesionals let me know if the neck is fire wood or i can do something with it. I can still return the bass.
    Thank you in advance

2. bootsox

bootsox

did you not play it before buying it?

3. marcinski

marcinski

I did but the setup was very bad, so i tryed to setup to my liking and it looks like that canot be done by me.

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

If you can still return it do so. I have had issues like that in the past before and although it can be repaired if it’s that bad it’s a lot of work and is expensive. It would be better if it was a bow and even on both sides. A neck if it is how you describe despite a good set up and having medium to lighter gauge strings then there are a few options if it’s worth it.

Frets must be pulled and the fretboard leveled by hand by a highly skilled luthier or by a Plek machine and finished by hand and re fretted or left fretless. Good news if it is worth it for you Warwick uses thick pieces of Wenge for the fingerboard/fretboard so there is plenty of meat to work with. I had to have it done to an old Warwick Thumb fretless the result is amazing but I had to send it to Garey Brawer in San Francisco.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If you get your relief set on the B string, does it buzz on the G? If it plays fine then don't worry about it. If you have fret buzz on one side of the neck then its time to return it or have it repaired.

Its probably a nice enough bass to spend the money to have the board leveled and have it refretted, if you bought it from someone who will not let you return it.