1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Warwick Headstock Reconditioning

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Neuroman, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Previously Stage 2 Supporting Member

I am refinishing my Warwick and have not been able to find anything on reconditioning the black top laminate on the headstock. It appears to be and feels like the black plastic material versus the ebony.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Newer Bass then yes plastic..I have used compound paste and then scratch remover and just buff it out..

3. Neuroman

Tell me if you have run across this. It turns out that after much fine sanding and buffing I have discovered that the problem is actually a discoloration in blotchy patterns which goes deep into the plastic. It's like UV damage or something equivalent. I realized that the deeper the top layer removed with fine sanding, the more pronounced the blotching/discoloration. Kind of like how the grain color patterns deep within in wood tend to come out at you in almost 3D when you fine sand and wax.

I also reviewed pics of older wics and with close inspection of available close up shots on headstock tops, I see it is a familiar phenomenon. Bummer.

Sounds like something which could repenetrate the plastic like stain does in wood would be required to restore a uniform black shade and I am not aware of anything like that.

4. Means2nEnd

Honestly I think I would try a penetrating oil like linseed or something similar and a wax..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Neuroman

I received a similar suggestion elsewhere. Boiled linseed oil. I am going to try it. Stay tuned and thank you.

7. Means2nEnd

I would leave it on for a while maybe overnight and put it under a lamp to provide some warmth...or heat up the oil a little first.

8. Neuroman

Well. The boiled linseed oil didn't work. At the end of the day it seems that there is nothing for it to penetrate into. That black polymer or whatever plastic material the layer on the top of the headstock is made of has no "pores" or space molecularly for the linseed oil to penetrate into. The oil just sits on the surface and cures. It created a slick looking sticky surface which clouded upon touch after curing. It peeled off with even moderately light rubbing to try to remove the dust and particles which would gather on its sticky surface. So, after rubbing it all off, the black plastic material was in it's same discolored faded condition as before the linseed oil treatment.

Thanks for the idea, though. If you don't try it, then you don't know. Well, this one was tried. Bummer.