SOLD Warwick Jack Bruce Ltd Edition Signature Thumb Bass - Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Neuroman, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Previously Stage 2 Gold Supporting Member

This listing is for a Warwick Jack Bruce Limited Edition Signature Fretless Thumb Bass. This is bass number 32 of 107 instruments made in this edition (and one of the only 50 fretless). It is rare and it is beautiful.

This bass has not been played that often and has been sitting unused in a case for the past 10 years. I have taken good care of it - Warwick Bees Wax for the body and neck and Dunlop 2 step treatment for the finger board. I did make the mistake of using round wound strings on it when I first got it - rookie mistake. Unfortunately the finger board did take some very minor wear before I replaced them with some ground wounds (half round). It's not bad but it is a faint outline ih a couple spots under the E if the light is just right. There is a tiny bit of black paint missing inside of the "W" on the String Anchor at the bottom and there is a tiny bit of the gold "MEC" paint rubbed off of the neck pickup. Otherwise this bass is in pristine condition.

If you are looking for an amazing playing bass or you are a collector of rare instruments then this bass will interest you.

• This bass is very rare and they hardly ever hit the market.
    • This bass is the fretless design which is the Thumb Bass style Jack Bruce played and collaborated to build
    • Only 50 fretless basses were made in this signature edition
    • The neck is rock hard and is true and it has never required a truss adjustment.
    • It is in excellent condition and has been well cared for. It's non-use makes it much much younger than its age.
    • I am including a Warwick hard shell case.
    • I am including the Dunlop Black Straplocks.
    • The only flaw I can find is the slight fingerboard wear and small paint rubbing/wear described above.

$4,000 Delivered continental US.

Some cool history from the Warwick website:

In the 1980's Jack Bruce met up with Hans-Peter Wilfer, who soon customized a fretless Thumb Bass for him. Bruce notes: " I was in Germany in the mid 80's to record there and, because I needed a set of new strings, I went into a music shop somewhere in northern Germany. That's where I saw this Warwick bass - a very early Thumb Bass. It really appealed to me and I bought it!...

... Warwick happened to hear that I'd bought one of their instruments and they called to ask if I'd like to become an endorser and also give them some feedback. I was interested, and I did make a few suggestions - nothing major, just a few ideas - and finally we did actually arrive at an instrument that felt very comfortable to play."

The role that the Thumb Fretless Bass NT came to play in Jack Bruce's life is evident in his own words: "If something ever happened to my old Warwick Fretless Thumb Bass, then I might as well just hang it up (playing bass) entirely, because it is irreplaceable - I love it above all else."

Attached Files:

2. Neuroman

More Pics

Attached Files:

3. Neuroman

2 more

Attached Files:

4. fmoore200

fmoore200

Wow! What a stunning bass!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Neuroman

Yes, it is very pretty. Thank you.

7. Neuroman

Trying to get reflection to show wear

I guess it is too slight to come through on pics.

Attached Files:

8. Wwolof

Wwolof

Wow. I would prefer Mr Jack just got Mr W to make him another bass if he lost this one bump.

9. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Media:
    What is the little switch for?

10. Neuroman

The little switch turns on the runway lights. Very cool while on stage. I'll post another pic.

11. Neuroman

Here is a pic with the LEDs on

Attached Files:

12. Neuroman

Since I have not really played this instrument in the past 10 years and am not planning on playing it much going forward (I have 4 other 5 string fretless basses in active duty) I am wondering if I would be better off hanging on to this baby for another 10 years and see what the market for it is then. It is one of 50 fretless versions made so a near mint one might be worth something then. Thoughts anyone?

13. Neuroman

I think I am going to hold on to this one for a while more and try again in about 5 - 10 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.