1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick or Dingwall?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drnonsense, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Drnonsense

Drnonsense

Straight and simple, I'm buying one of these basses and I need help choosing. Hit me with your thoughts and thanks in advance!

5 String Bolt On Warwick Thumb- $1600 used (mint condition)

or

5 String Dingwall Combustion - $1440 at L and M. (New)

Looking for a djenty bass in the vien of Periphery, Monuments, and Tesseract. Need a solid low end and the option to drop tune to a full step.

Love you all,
    Luke
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Have you tried fanned frets?

The B string on the Dingwall will be better for sure.

If it were me it would be no contest due to just about every metric - Dingwall.
  3. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Warwick growl or Dingwall fanned frets? Take you pick!

Post pics when you choose! We all love NBD threads!
  4. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Arguable. I have a Warwick Corvette $$ 6er tuned to drop G. Note that's two whole steps below B on a standard 34" scale. Granted, I have it loaded up with a Circle K .182 balanced set. Point being, you don't always need longer scales or fanned frets to have a good low B, just good strings made to have equal tension instead of almost linear descending gauges.

I do also have a fanned fret bass and I love the feel of it. Not hard to get used to, and definitely more comfortable and ergonomic than standard parallel frets.

Ultimately, get what you like best based on looks, and then load it up with Circle K's ;)
  5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

Dingwall. Drop the djent terminology... Even the prog-metal guys don't like using that term. Nolly from Periphery plays Dingwall and gets amazing tone from it.
  6. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Yeah just the word djent is annoying...

I haven't played a Dingwall, but if I had the money to buy any bass at all it would be a Warwick Thumb and I would be using it for progressive metal.
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Having played both at local stores, I'd go with the Combustion. Feels better, somewhat lighter, no baseball bat for a neck & the sound is awesome!
    Hell, I've been tempted to trade my Spector ReBop in on one. :(
  8. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Hmm, fanned frets or neck dive? To be honest I only played a Dignwall once and I don't remember anything about it (other than the fact that the frets didn't throw me as much as I'd expected they would). I have played a bunch of Thumbs, however (4s and 5s, BO and NT). The two times I bought BO Thumb 5s I took them back to the shop. I really wanted to like those basses but between the U necks and the neck dive I just couldn't do it. I did play a 4 string Thumb BO for a couple of years. It was a nice bass. Not my favourite neck profile but more manageable than the 5 string version (and better balance on a strap).
  9. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr

They both sound great for djent but the big difference is in tone and in feel man. But the best that I can help with is that the Combustions to my ear from listening to tons of tracks sound like Jazz bass but just with the Dingwall touch, while the thumb sounds way different.

It'll come down to tone and which neck style you prefer.
  10. bass12

11. awilkie84

awilkie84

It's not so much tricking yourself about the frets as it is tricking yourself about the sound. Your ear is used to equal temperament tuning. Telling it the Dingwall is right is the hard part.
  12. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

Yeah me too, I have no idea what that means but I'm not likely to use it no matter.

My vote goes to the Dingwall without hesitation. They are simply great souding and playing basses, or at least everyone I've played has been.

I tried to like 'Wicks but they just aren't my cup of tea; they do sound good though.
  13. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Metal basically. Say Djent, but a few times quickly in some sort of rhythm and you'll get the idea.:D
  14. paulslagle

paulslagle MISTER NOBODY™ Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Basses. EBS Amplification. Mortone Amps
    Believe me when I tell you, get the Dingwall.
  15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

The hell are you on? Dingwall's are tuned to the same temperament as every other bass out there.
  16. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i have a DW AB, super P, and recently bought a warwick thumb 6 BO
    i have had 5 6ers including a DW AB1 6 and i have settled on the thumb
    i was a DW fanboi from the beginning thinking that it could only be DW's but i realized for me, a parallel fret bass in a 6 string config was for me and my style
    there are pros and cons for each and are very different basses.
    warwicks are probably the best deal on the used market whereas dingwalls hold their value better
  17. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Love my combustion 5 in drop A. Also have a Spector Euro 5LX and it gets most of my playing time, the dingwall has a KILLER low B, sounds thunderous. Still on stock string, switching to higher guage circle K's next week on both basses.

Also considering picking up a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 just to have something a little bit different, but out of the two you picked, I'd go Dingwall for what you're playing.
  18. Mugre

Mugre

I really think there's some confusion about terms here. A dingwall may intonate up and down the neck better but there's nothing about them to make me believe they're not playing ET intervals i.e. wide 3rds and narrow 5ths as compared to just intonation. there's a noticeable difference between just and ET. String players are used to adjusting for it when playing with pianos and fretted instruments. How would a Dingwall player perform the same adjustment?
  19. bass12

Well, Dingwalls are definitely not just intonation basses. :p

[​IMG]
  20. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

my DW super P is never going anywhere but i am considering selling the AB to fund a thumb NT
    i kinda have ww fever these days- the sound of wood...
    although from a practical standpoint, an 8 lb bass is very appealing when you just had hand surgery...
    love em both.