warwick - pickups change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by swf, Dec 21, 2012.

1. swf

swf

I use Warwick Corvette Std 5 - actieve 2 way electronic and passive pickups (dynamic correction). I'm planning to change the pickups with active but I'm not sure if the stock electronic can work with active. Can anyone advise me if I need to change the electronic as well? These are the pickups thay I would like to install: MEC M 60201S.
    Thanks!
  2. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

The stock MEC preamps are usually used with active pickups but if your bass uses passive pickups than the preamp you have in there now will most likely not work because the volume and blend pots in your preamp are specifically for passive pickups. You would either have to change out the volume and blend pots or get a preamp that works with active pickups. For your Corvette, if you will use active pickups, I highly recommend the EMG preamp. The EMG preamp really brings out the natural tone of Warwicks. I have an EMG BQC preamp in my Thumb 6 broadneck. I am using active Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups and the combination is just superb!
  3. swf

swf

thanks! I've changed the pickups as well as the volume and blend pots - what I understood is that for active pickups the resistance should be 100 ohms instead of 500 ohms. Unfortunatelly I don't have option to compare the EMG preamps with the stock one that I have on my bass but with with the new pickups it sounds much better!