1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick "rusty" finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlassOnion, Nov 21, 2012.

1. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Bologna and cheese Gold Supporting Member

I browsed a while looking for some information on what exactly the Warwick rusty finish is. It says covered in iron and rusted. Ok so after a short google search and poking around here there is no info on the process or how heavy the iron layer is. Does anyone have any experience or first hand knowledge on what this is? I really like the look and have an hour + to drive to see one. The weight might stop me before I leave the house. Anyone out there some insight or a link?

http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14667&katID=24177&cl=EN
  2. gordon5377

gordon5377

OK, I'll take a stab at it.

First, I think that they (Warwick) would have considered the weight and would not have done something deliberately that would make the bass uncomfortable to wear. Just a guess, but I think they probably applied a thin coating of powdered metal (PM) on the bass. They may have used a super light adhesive or applied the PM to the base coat while it was still wet. Then, they either A) put the body in a humid or damp climate and let nature take its course inducing the rust on the PM or, B) applied some chemical to initiate the oxidation process. I am not sure of this since wood and humidity usually do not mix but that's all I have right now. Anyway, once they get the desired level of oxidation, they spray poly over it sealing out oxygen and thus stopping most of the rusting process.

Like I said, just a guess. It's a rather unique idea, and a very cool look. I'd be interested in how it sounds. You should ask someone - if you make the drive to see one - if they know how it's done. I'm sure they have been asked before and maybe they have the scoop. :confused:

Good luck!!
  3. GlassOnion

Totally gave me some confidence to make the drive. I have been absolutely smitten with this finish. I think it will make a great addition to the collection. I am so curious to see it in person but have a feeling once I do, my bank account will see a drop. Of all the instruments I own, never once has my lady said "that is beautiful", and in the case of the rusty finish, she said that.
    It would be my guess the information on how the process is done is proprietary and this is why it is not floating around, readily available. I would personally love to see a you tube video of the process but I can dream.

Thanks mate for taking the time to drop a line.
  4. LB75

LB75

Seems like I remember seeing a video of the process a while back. I'll see if I can find it.
  5. LB75

LB75

This is the video I was thinking about, don't know if it will help though.

6. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

That is an amazingly cool finish... Saved for whenever I get a custom done...
  7. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

Marco Hietala of Nightwish/Tarot has a Buzzard in this finish and it looks amazing, but he has said that it's very heavy compared to his Infinity and Vampyre basses (I know the Infinity is hollow/semi-hollow but the Vampyre looks pretty heavy). But this may be more to do with the size of the Buzzard than anything caused by the finish.
  8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Thanks for the input. The finish is very thin and does not add any extra weight. Its coated with genuine iron, then a few chemicals are used to oxidize the metal. Its then given a clear coat, so that the rust doesn't discolor your clothing! It is possible to stick a magnet to the finish...very cool! Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance in any way.

[​IMG]
  9. gordon5377

gordon5377

I love it when I'm right! :D

I have access to some powdered metal if anyone wants to give this a try. Not sure what chemicals they use but I will talk to a metallurgist to find out.
  10. GlassOnion

I just talked to my local shop. The streamer they have is 9.1lbs. I am waiting back to see if they accept my offer then possibly putting the kid in the car seat and off to the west side.

Before I was done typing this they accepted my offer.

I am off to pick it up at 1:30.

Photos to follow.
  11. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

That does look cool. Reminds me of the Trussart basses.

So, is this the ultimate in electronic shielding?
  13. gordon5377

gordon5377

NICE!
    Congrats on your NBD!! Pics please!! And if it's not too much trouble some details on tone, playability, ...

Wow, just did some searching and they only made 11 of these? Very cool, indeed.
  14. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Yes, congratulations, indeed! Please keep us posted with photos of your new acquisition! Thanks...
  15. aparker82

aparker82 Supporting Member

Now that's just plain awesome!
  16. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Almost looks like a Steve Bailey sig!
  17. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Good eye Epitaph04! It IS a Steve Bailey signature model!
  18. GlassOnion

So after getting it home and giving it a furious 10 minutes, throwing different styles at it, this guitar sings (having a two year old unattended isn't a pleasant feeling to get lost jamming out). I was not sure what to think of double buck pup set up prior to plugging in, but in all honesty its versatility is amazing. It really can pull jazz bass tones, musicman-esque tones, modern vibe, to p bass thump. I wont be able to really get acquainted with the guitar till after turkey day is over. But initial feelings are very positive. The craftsmanship is beautiful. Balances very well strapped up, just sits in place really. MUCH lighter than anticipated, scale weighs in at 9.1#. The photos were taken outside with the sun dropping fast. It actually photographs better in low light. The sun just kinda makes the different nuances disappear. This is a total keeper. Thanks Warwick!!! Bravo!!!

Attached Files:

19. GlassOnion

Photos #2

Attached Files:

20. GlassOnion

Photo #3

Attached Files: